News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the Non-Americans

Started by Admiral Yi, June 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Does your language have any terms to describe mixed-race people?  I'm looking for equivalents of metis in French.

For example, does German have a specific word for someone who is half German and half Turkish?

Norgy

Not really. Just mixed black-white, which is "mulatt". As in mulatto.

Half Filipino, half Norwegian doesn't have a name, despite becoming a bit common.
Well, I am sure there are some nasty terms, but none that I know. I am, however, known as a "potato" by the Pakistani yoooof.

Eddie Teach

Brown on the outside, white on the inside?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Ideologue

I got halfbloed once.  Really frustrating.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

None that is used with any frequency. "Mulatt" for mixed black/white is known but never used. In normal conversation you would describe a person as "half-Korean" etc.

Edit: Possibly because the big divide in Sweden isn't between races but between Swedes and immigrants. For instance there are quite a few Swedes who are adopted from Asia or Africa.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Mestizo.

Edit: And from back in the day...

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM
For example, does German have a specific word for someone who is half German and half Turkish?

Untermensch, duh.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Pedrito

In italian, meticcio or mulatto. almost unused today.
Being us usually the giving end of migration fluxes, it seems more common for people at the receiving end of migrations to give names like these.

Oh and Larch, I love that picture.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Norgy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 07, 2014, 04:51:30 PM
Brown on the outside, white on the inside?  :huh:

More a quip about Norwegian food than anything else.

The generation before me eats pasta with boiled potatos.

celedhring

In Catalan "xarnego" used to mean that, but it evolved into meaning "Spanish immigrant" in the XXth century.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2014, 06:47:06 PM
No special word. :)

Non-Americans. If you live in North or South America, technically you're an American or "New Worlder".

Admiral Yi

Does mora/moro mean Moor or black?

And how the hell does a 1/4 moro + full blooded Spaniard = "Chino?"  :lol: