News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the Non-Americans

Started by Admiral Yi, June 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2014, 03:38:23 PM
BTW, the Frommer's guide to Iceland includes an interesting entry that may shed some light on this:
QuoteFormerly known as Búðir, Fáskrúðsfjörður was settled by French-speaking sailors (mostly Belgian and Breton) in the 1800s as a fishing base for half the year. In the cod boom of 1880 to 1914, about 5,000 French and Belgian fishermen came to east Iceland each season. Cod fishing was one of the world's most dangerous professions; over 4,000 French-speaking fishermen alone died in Icelandic waters between 1825 and 1940. In Fáskrúðsfjörður, they introduced locals to cognac and chocolate, stole eggs and sheep, and built a local chapel and hospital. Street signs are in Icelandic and French, and a cemetery east of town along the shore holds the graves of 49 French and Belgian sailors. For 4 days in late July, Fáskrúðsfjörður celebrates its French heritage with the Franskir Dagar (French Days) family festival.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/lower-eastfjords/277761#sthash.IpLfAmn7.dpbs#ixzz34Axs2tIo

I rather suspect that this is the source of the "French" of which Viking spoke.  Some of them probably married locals and stayed in Iceland for that reason.

The only Amiral L'hermite which I can find was actually lost NW of Ireland in 1917, having been sunk by a U-boat.  Iceland being NW of Ireland, the crew could have gone ashore in Iceland, not Ireland, but there is no indication that they stayed.

The French probably arrived in petaches.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quality series of posts, 'We are most definitely amused'.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

I rather suspect that this is the source of the "French" of which Viking spoke.  Some of them probably married locals and stayed in Iceland for that reason.

The only Amiral L'hermite which I can find was actually lost NW of Ireland in 1917, having been sunk by a U-boat.  Iceland being NW of Ireland, the crew could have gone ashore in Iceland, not Ireland, but there is no indication that they stayed.

Different Frenchmen. The Fishermen at Fáskrúðsfjörð were not shipwrecked, they were seasonal migrants. Some of the shipwrecked crew stayed in Vestmannaeyar.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=is&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heimaslod.is%2Findex.php%2F%25C3%259Ar_f%25C3%25B3rum_%25C3%2581rna_%25C3%2581rnasonar._Verk_hans_og_annarra%2FStrand_franska_skipsins_Admiral_l%2527Hermite_%25C3%25A1ri%25C3%25B0_1867&edit-text=
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on June 09, 2014, 04:14:44 PM

Different Frenchmen. The Fishermen at Fáskrúðsfjörð were not shipwrecked, they were seasonal migrants. Some of the shipwrecked crew stayed in Vestmannaeyar.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=is&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heimaslod.is%2Findex.php%2F%25C3%259Ar_f%25C3%25B3rum_%25C3%2581rna_%25C3%2581rnasonar._Verk_hans_og_annarra%2FStrand_franska_skipsins_Admiral_l%2527Hermite_%25C3%25A1ri%25C3%25B0_1867&edit-text=

My favourite part of that translated article is the reference to "the frog crew". :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2014, 03:41:59 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 09, 2014, 03:31:22 PM
"We"

4. (used to indicate a particular profession, nationality, political party, etc., that includes the speaker or writer): We in the medical profession have moral responsibilities.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/We
That is called a usage note.  The definition in that source is "nominative plural of I."  Exactly as I said.

I'm not sure what argument you are making here.  Are you saying that Viking did, or did not, call these people "French" for 100 years?

Since there is no english equivalent to l'academie francaise which gives us a one, definitive right and wrong, all any dictionary does is to provide examples of how words and phrases are being used.

But as I said - I am no master of the English language.  I'd happily see any other source you might have and could be convinced otherwise.

:)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Back to topic, very well documented in Portuguese, specially in Brazil
Mestiço is the broad term but there is also mistos or pardos
The basics:
mulato (white + black); caboclo/mameluco (white + Indian(native); cafuzo (indian(native) + black).

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2014, 03:58:11 PM
We believe that you are the only person who thought Viking was saying that he personally called them French for a hundred years.
I asked him that specific question, and he gave a specific answer.  Whatever.

You don't believe that he called them "French" for 100 years, as he claimed, nor do I.  What is this "argument" about?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2014, 03:58:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2014, 03:41:59 PM
I'm not sure what argument you are making here.  Are you saying that Viking did, or did not, call these people "French" for 100 years?

We believe that you are the only person who thought Viking was saying that he personally called them French for a hundred years.
Actually, I don't believe he did so, as I have made clear. I even asked a question to make sure i wasn't misunderstanding his claim.  His use of English was substandard, but, as I noted, it's not his mother tongue, so no biggie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 09, 2014, 04:14:44 PM

Okay.  That's a primary source, so good enough for me.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 09, 2014, 05:25:22 PM
Back to topic, very well documented in Portuguese, specially in Brazil
Mestiço is the broad term but there is also mistos or pardos
The basics:
mulato (white + black); caboclo/mameluco (white + Indian(native); cafuzo (indian(native) + black).

Yeah, i teach Brazilian history, and am interested to see how modern communications and city life break down these old class barriers.

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2014, 03:37:52 PM
While perhaps grumbler can come back with an authoritative source showing us he was right all along, but I have used "we" in the manner Viking did and always understood that to be appropriate, and AR's link seems to confirm that usage.

:)

No kidding.  This is easily the stupidest fucking semantic debate Languish has ever had.

But I don't blame grumbler.  As an immortal, he feels part of no nation or historical tradition--they are but eyeblinks to him--so is confused by the usage of "we" by mere mortals who are seeking continuity with the past and future generations.  Instead, he takes it literally.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)