Question for the Non-Americans

Started by Admiral Yi, June 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I'd love to say that his mind has gone but sadly that's not true. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2014, 03:11:29 PM
and concluded that Viking was saying exactly what he was saying;  that he called them French for at least 36500 days.  That's 100 years, give or take a few days.

Not sure how I could be wrong in using his words exactly as he wrote them.

Let's say you were correct.  Does it really matter that much to go on about it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 03:19:47 PM
and concluded that Viking was saying exactly what he was saying;  that he called them French for at least 36500 days.  That's 100 years, give or take a few days.

Not sure how I could be wrong in using his words exactly as he wrote them.

Let's say you were correct.  Does it really matter that much to go on about it?

he's grumbler, why do you need reasons?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Actually, "a nationality that includes the speaker" isn't one of the definitions of the word.  You can look it up.  Your attempt at semantic shenanigans fails.

"We"

4. (used to indicate a particular profession, nationality, political party, etc., that includes the speaker or writer): We in the medical profession have moral responsibilities.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/We

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

QuoteWe the People of the United States....
:hmm:

Barrister

While perhaps grumbler can come back with an authoritative source showing us he was right all along, but I have used "we" in the manner Viking did and always understood that to be appropriate, and AR's link seems to confirm that usage.

:)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

BTW, the Frommer's guide to Iceland includes an interesting entry that may shed some light on this:
QuoteFormerly known as Búðir, Fáskrúðsfjörður was settled by French-speaking sailors (mostly Belgian and Breton) in the 1800s as a fishing base for half the year. In the cod boom of 1880 to 1914, about 5,000 French and Belgian fishermen came to east Iceland each season. Cod fishing was one of the world's most dangerous professions; over 4,000 French-speaking fishermen alone died in Icelandic waters between 1825 and 1940. In Fáskrúðsfjörður, they introduced locals to cognac and chocolate, stole eggs and sheep, and built a local chapel and hospital. Street signs are in Icelandic and French, and a cemetery east of town along the shore holds the graves of 49 French and Belgian sailors. For 4 days in late July, Fáskrúðsfjörður celebrates its French heritage with the Franskir Dagar (French Days) family festival.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/lower-eastfjords/277761#sthash.IpLfAmn7.dpbs#ixzz34Axs2tIo

I rather suspect that this is the source of the "French" of which Viking spoke.  Some of them probably married locals and stayed in Iceland for that reason.

The only Amiral L'hermite which I can find was actually lost NW of Ireland in 1917, having been sunk by a U-boat.  Iceland being NW of Ireland, the crew could have gone ashore in Iceland, not Ireland, but there is no indication that they stayed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on June 09, 2014, 03:31:22 PM
"We"

4. (used to indicate a particular profession, nationality, political party, etc., that includes the speaker or writer): We in the medical profession have moral responsibilities.

That is called a usage note.  The definition in that source is "nominative plural of I."  Exactly as I said.

I'm not sure what argument you are making here.  Are you saying that Viking did, or did not, call these people "French" for 100 years?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2014, 03:37:52 PM
While perhaps grumbler can come back with an authoritative source showing us he was right all along, but I have used "we" in the manner Viking did and always understood that to be appropriate, and AR's link seems to confirm that usage.

:)
So, you say "we first settled Canada around 16,000 years ago"?  It seems to me to be an awful stretch of the concept of "I".  If you are not present, then "they" is far more accurate and far less misleading.

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2014, 03:36:07 PM

Well, Grumbler was actually there at the time that was drafted.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2014, 03:48:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2014, 03:36:07 PM

Well, Grumbler was actually there at the time that was drafted.  ;)

He should have corrected their improper use of "We".

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2014, 03:41:59 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 09, 2014, 03:31:22 PM
"We"

That is called a usage note.  The definition in that source is "nominative plural of I."  Exactly as I said.

I'm not sure what argument you are making here.  Are you saying that Viking did, or did not, call these people "French" for 100 years?

Viking did not personally call these people french for 100 years. The nationality that he is a part of, Icelandic, did.

To my knowledge every person here, excepting perhaps you, understood what he meant. The dictionary link I supplied also supported that Viking's usage "we" was correct, and in my experience it is in line with the common usage of the word.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

If I am talking about Canadians I might say "We love hockey".  It would be odd indeed for someone to question me whether I personally love hockey.  I dont.  But speaking for Canadians, we sure do love hockey.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2014, 03:41:59 PM

We believe that you are the only person who thought Viking was saying that he personally called them French for a hundred years.