And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the Non-Americans

Started by Admiral Yi, June 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2014, 07:55:52 PM
Does mora/moro mean Moor or black?

It normally means moor, but in that context it seems to mean black.

QuoteAnd how the hell does a 1/4 moro + full blooded Spaniard = "Chino?"  :lol:

No idea, ask a XVIIth century colonial spaniard.  :P

Viking

In Icelandic? No indiginous words for mixed race people.

Edit: though we did follow a "one drop rule" kind of thing. In one case where a french ship was shipwrecked in my home village the crew settled and married into the locals, they were just called french, until, one day we didn't call them anything special.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM
Does your language have any terms to describe mixed-race people?  I'm looking for equivalents of metis in French.
Does your language have any terms to describe mixed-race people?  I'm looking for equivalents of metis in French.
mulâtre for someone of mixed black and white parents.  Don't know if it applies to 2nd generation offspring.  Not awhere of any words for other ethnic groups but there might be.

Edit: other than metis, of course.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

For example, does German have a specific word for someone who is half German and half Turkish?
Not specifically for that.

The word "Deutschtürke" designates a German with Turkish ancestors, but not necessarily half-half, could also be two Turkish parents. In census we have a category called "Migrationshintergrund", which basically means that you or at least one of your parents migrated to Germany after 1949. But that also catches ethnic Germans from Eastern Europe.

Norgy

I seem to recall people from Haugesund being called "Arabs" here. Lots of shipwrecked Portuguese and Spaniards around those parts. There's no doubt that parts of the coast has had more contact and more exchange of genes with the rest of Europe than say the inbred area where I hail from.

An anecdote that's most likely not true is that one of the big merchants who'd made his money on the lumber trade brought back a black young man as a servant. Since no-one had seen a black person, he was thrown into the fireplace at the first opportunity.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 07, 2014, 11:42:13 PM

Edit: though we did follow a "one drop rule" kind of thing. In one case where a french ship was shipwrecked in my home village the crew settled and married into the locals, they were just called french, until, one day we didn't call them anything special.
How many days passed before you stopped calling them French?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on June 08, 2014, 03:52:16 AM
I seem to recall people from Haugesund being called "Arabs" here. Lots of shipwrecked Portuguese and Spaniards around those parts. There's no doubt that parts of the coast has had more contact and more exchange of genes with the rest of Europe than say the inbred area where I hail from.

An anecdote that's most likely not true is that one of the big merchants who'd made his money on the lumber trade brought back a black young man as a servant. Since no-one had seen a black person, he was thrown into the fireplace at the first opportunity.

Ugh, eggplants washing on shore.

*crosses Norway off tourist list*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2014, 09:50:04 AM

at least 36500 days

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 08, 2014, 09:53:35 AM
Quote from: Norgy on June 08, 2014, 03:52:16 AM

Ugh, eggplants washing on shore.

*crosses Norway off tourist list*

Eggplants have historically washed ashore all over the world.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 08, 2014, 10:00:28 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2014, 09:50:04 AM

at least 36500 days
Wow! You are old!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Viking

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 08, 2014, 10:41:14 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2014, 10:28:20 AMWow! You are old!

Coming from methusaleh here that is a compliment
:lol:
I'm not the one who claims he has changed his name-calling over the course of at least "36500 days."  :contract:

In fact, I have made no claims about great age at all.

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2014, 10:36:45 AM
In Japan they just say haafu.

True story: There's a village in Andalucía where a small Japanese community settled in the XVIIth century following a Japanese embasy to the Spanish and other European courts. They were all given "Japón" as a surname, and there are a few hundred people still carrying it nowadays.