And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the Non-Americans

Started by Admiral Yi, June 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2014, 03:08:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 08, 2014, 10:41:14 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2014, 10:28:20 AMWow! You are old!

Coming from methusaleh here that is a compliment
:lol:
I'm not the one who claims he has changed his name-calling over the course of at least "36500 days."  :contract:

In fact, I have made no claims about great age at all.

"we" not "I"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 08, 2014, 05:20:50 PM
"we" not "I"

I keep forgetting that English isn't your native language.

In English, "we" is the first-person plural.  "I" is first-person singular.  In English, "we" includes "I."  The only difference in English between "we did it" and "I did it" is that, in the first case, you are expressly not the only one who did it.

So, when you write in English that "we called them that for over 36500 days" you are claiming that you did this, as well. 

You'd have been better-off sticking to the passive voice, rather than shifting to the active voice with the "until, one day, we didn't call them anything special."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2014, 08:06:45 PM
"we" not "I"

In English, "we" is the first-person plural.  "I" is first-person singular.  In English, "we" includes "I."  The only difference in English between "we did it" and "I did it" is that, in the first case, you are expressly not the only one who did it.

So, when you write in English that "we called them that for over 36500 days" you are claiming that you did this, as well. 

You'd have been better-off sticking to the passive voice, rather than shifting to the active voice with the "until, one day, we didn't call them anything special."

He was referring to the Icelandic community, of which he is a part.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2014, 10:27:33 PM
"we" not "I"

It's grumbler. :secret:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

"we" not "I"

Quote from: Viking on June 07, 2014, 11:42:13 PM
In Icelandic? No indiginous words for mixed race people.

Edit: though we did follow a "one drop rule" kind of thing. In one case where a french ship was shipwrecked in my home village the crew settled and married into the locals, they were just called french, until, one day we didn't call them anything special.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

He wasn't a part of it when this occurred.  His is a common mistake, I will grant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2014, 05:21:03 AM

He wasn't a part of it when this occurred.  His is a common mistake, I will grant.

I was part of it when we called them french, the ship sank in the late 19th century and when I was young they were still referred to as french.

alfred russel

It isn't a common mistake; it is a common usage. "We" can refer to a nationality that includes the speaker. It is one of the definitions of the word "we".

Even ignoring the fact that you would be wrong in any event, based on Viking's last statement.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on June 09, 2014, 09:34:03 AM

It isn't a common mistake; it is a common usage. "We" can refer to a nationality that includes the speaker. It is one of the definitions of the word "we".

Even ignoring the fact that you would be wrong in any event, based on Viking's last statement.

Things have changed so much since those days. Now we have the Argentinians.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Viking

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on June 09, 2014, 05:31:49 AM
I was part of it when we called them french, the ship sank in the late 19th century and when I was young they were still referred to as french.
:hmm: Why didn't they just go home?  It's not like this happened in 850 AD or something...  was there a surplus of young hott maidens in the village at the time or something?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2014, 11:28:11 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 09, 2014, 05:31:49 AM
:hmm: Why didn't they just go home?  It's not like this happened in 850 AD or something...  was there a surplus of young hott maidens in the village at the time or something?

Iceland 1867 = France 850

The ship was the Admiral-l'Hermite out of Dunkirk in 1867, 20 sailors were shipwrecked and they settled.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on June 09, 2014, 09:34:03 AM

Actually, "a nationality that includes the speaker" isn't one of the definitions of the word.  You can look it up.  Your attempt at semantic shenanigans fails.

QuoteEven ignoring the fact that you would be wrong in any event, based on Viking's last statement.

I looked at the following two statements:
Quote from: Viking on June 08, 2014, 10:00:28 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2014, 09:50:04 AM
How many days passed before you stopped calling them French?

at least 36500 days
and concluded that Viking was saying exactly what he was saying;  that he called them French for at least 36500 days.  That's 100 years, give or take a few days.

Not sure how I could be wrong in using his words exactly as he wrote them.

Bayraktar!