High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

First car I ever owned was the used Chrysler K-car I bought from my then-gf's father. If you wanted to pass someone on the highway, you had to get out and push.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I used to think a car was just a way of getting from point "A" to point "B"- and on weekends point "C.  But that was the old me.  That man died the moment I laid eyes on the 1984 Toyota Tercel. 

But then I totaled it about a year later.  The third of my twelve auto accidents.  I was an awesome teenage driver.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2014, 12:36:17 PM
I passed a type 3 that way once.

Probably about as a attractive as a K-car. Same colour, too.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 12:39:03 PM
The third of my twelve auto accidents.  I was an awesome teenage driver.
I hope you were uninsured.  :mad:

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2014, 12:53:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 12:39:03 PM
The third of my twelve auto accidents.  I was an awesome teenage driver.
I hope you were uninsured.  :mad:

I had liability insurance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 12:39:03 PMThe third of my twelve auto accidents.

Wow. :blink: I know you've always said you're a bad driver, but I thought you were just being humble. :P  Is that 12 accidents while still a teenager, or 12 up til now?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 10, 2014, 01:23:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 12:39:03 PMThe third of my twelve auto accidents.

Wow. :blink: I know you've always said you're a bad driver, but I thought you were just being humble. :P  Is that 12 accidents while still a teenager, or 12 up til now?

My last one happened just before 9/11.  I still suck but I at least am good enough to avoid hitting people now.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2014, 10:02:29 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 09, 2014, 08:38:56 PM

Most of the OP was, as mentioned, hyperbole and kvetching. But Riley is by no means the only girl in any of the local high schools dating. She's also getting straight As in her classes.

Sex: F

School is made for the girls.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
Western civilization is made for girls.

Asian civilization is made for girly-boys.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Asian civilization evidently isn't made for human beings of any stripe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

I meant the modern parts, like Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 10:07:04 PM
HKers believe it is a terrible system too.  There is a reason why so many parents send their kids overseas.  Competition for the international schools (which do not follow the HK curriculum) is insane.  I happen to think the system has merits.  It is a great system for someone who likes to lock himself up in a room :contract:
Where I lived when I was younger there was a private CofE convent school that was about 75% Hong Kong students. I think probably escaping exactly what you're describing.

QuoteThis is pretty typical western thinking.  A few Brits tried to say good morning to me in Cantonese.  The key word being try, becuase it is extremely difficult for a westerner to get the pronounciation right.  Cantonese and English are in completely different language groups.  All they accomplished was confusing the locals. 
Moroccans laughed at me trying to speak Arabic. Admittedly they all spoke English, French, Spanish, German.... :blink:

Everyone else seems relatively appreciative that you try and speak the language. Except for the Swedes. I ordered a coffee in Swedish and the guy just laughed and said 'what would you like?' There was no need to laugh :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Mrs. MIM is getting ready. Been playing the Pimsleur German in the car all the way up here.

Ich verstehe kein Deutsch.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers