Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

PJL

This is the plot of cases & deaths so far, in a log scale format. The outbreak looked like it could have been contained at the end of April & beginning of May, but since June the number of cases have been doubling every month, and if anything the rate is slightly increasing.

mongers

Maybe we could use this thread for all Epidemics and world health issues?

Incidentally I've been reading up on efficient health charities to donate to, and it looks like a couple of de-worming initiatives in the 3rd world provide a lot of bang for your donated buck.

I'll see if I can find a link.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2014, 10:23:32 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 04, 2014, 07:02:29 AM
Relax.
You always say that. At what threshold is okay not to relax? 100,000 cases? 250,000? More?
I tell you to relax simply because you get too worked up over stuff.  Getting anxious isn't going to solve anything. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

8 September 2014 Last updated at 19:53

Ebola crisis: Liberia 'faces huge surge' says WHO

Ebola is spreading exponentially in Liberia, with thousands of new cases expected in the next three weeks, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

Conventional methods to control the outbreak were "not having an adequate impact", the UN's health agency added.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29115298

:(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2014, 10:04:39 PM
Really looking bad.

Thanks for the title change though

Thanks for the change of heart that made the old title obsolete.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

"Ebolapalooza?"  That's rather flippant, given that people are dying in large numbers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2014, 08:14:31 AM
"Ebolapalooza?"  That's rather flippant, given that people are dying in large numbers.

Would you feel better if they were pushed out of windows?

jimmy olsen

One day update by the WHO says that from thw 5th to the 6th more than 300 cases and nearly 200 deaths were recorded!

It is obviously unstoppable now. Liberia and Sierra Leone will probably lose hundreds of thousands of people. :(

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2014, 03:43:09 AM
Anyways, the cases have doubled from what they were 22 days ago, which were double what they were 30 days before that, which were double what they were 35 days before that. Periodic doubling would indicate exponential growth, but the rate of doubling is itself increasing..
I will note that at the rate of 300+ cases a day as seen on the sixth,  this period of doubling will be 13 days!

1 Karma Chameleon point