Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

I'm unfamiliar with all this bullshit panic over an easily containable disease provided Western approaches to science and medicine are even marginally accepted.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2014, 08:25:47 PM
I'm unfamiliar with all this bullshit panic over an easily containable disease provided Western approaches to science and medicine are even marginally accepted.
plenty of nations where that isn't accepted.

More projections

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/world/africa/us-scientists-see-long-fight-against-ebola.html?_r=0&referrer=
QuoteDr. Shaman's research team created a model that estimated the number of cases through Oct. 12, with different predictions based on whether control of the epidemic stays about the same, improves or gets worse. If control stays the same, according to the model, the case count by Oct. 12 will be 18,406. If control improves, it will be 7,861. If control worsens, it will soar to 54,895
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2014, 10:23:35 PM
plenty of nations where that isn't accepted.

No shit, dumbass.  So why are you panicking?

QuoteMore projections

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/world/africa/us-scientists-see-long-fight-against-ebola.html?_r=0&referrer=
QuoteDr. Shaman's research team created a model that estimated the number of cases through Oct. 12, with different predictions based on whether control of the epidemic stays about the same, improves or gets worse. If control stays the same, according to the model, the case count by Oct. 12 will be 18,406. If control improves, it will be 7,861. If control worsens, it will soar to 54,895

54K?  That's not even half the capacity of Michigan Stadium.

Razgovory

I'm not particular concerned.  It's a blood-borne illness, I would have to get bitten by a vampire bat or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

:yes:

Not to sound racist Tim, but these people are basically talking gorillas. :)  In real, non-trainwreck countries, Ebola wouldn't be an issue unless some crazy airborne mutation shit happens.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2014, 06:22:39 AM

Not to sound racist Tim, but these people are basically talking gorillas. :)  In real, non-trainwreck countries, Ebola wouldn't be an issue unless some crazy airborne mutation shit happens.

Quoted for it's truly awfulness, I presume you were attempting to be humourous?  :rolleyes:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

How about you go fuck yourself

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

We can isolate and contain a case or ten. But can we handle a hundred? A thousand? The bigger this gets in West Africa, the harder to prevent from spreading to the rest of the world.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

More scientists jumping on the apocalypse train with regards to Liberia.

http://blogs.channel4.com/tom-clarke-on-science/terrifying-mathematics-ebola/1329#sthash.YjPBbPGK.dpuf

Quote"It could get very bad indeed," said Prof John Edmunds, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. "And I mean you can't rule out some sort of nightmare doomsday scenario."

"But the quicker we react and put interventions in place, the better chance we've got of avoiding something really, really serious."

The leading epidemiologist is studying the spread of the virus in Monrovia, where the outbreak is now most intense. He has told Channel 4 News that based on the current rate of spread and lack of power to control it, it has the potential to infect the majority of the population of the country.

Sitrep from the DRC - Not Good

http://reliefweb.int/report/democratic-republic-congo/update-ebola-virus-disease-drc-no10-12-september-2014

*The number of suspected cases has fallen, as some have been laboratory confirmed.

**12 alerts including one with death in Kokolo military camp in Kinshasa, a second reported in Kambove in Katanga and 10 cases of which 8 deaths reported in Bongandanga, Equateur Provincer. Five samples from Bongandanga and from Nyakunde in Ituri (Orientale Province) are being analyzed.

Between 2 and 10 September, 35 cases of EVD have been reported in the area of Djera in Equateur Province in DRC, increasing the cumulative number of cases to 66 (see the above table for details).

Two additional treatment centers are operational since 9 September with the capacity of 50 beds

Some local/provincial committees of the CNC (Ebola response coordination) are not operating optimally like Kinshasa; some coordination tools for the smooth functioning of these structures at local / provincial level are still unavailable

Epidemic Control Commission (ECC) has submitted a health roadmap on the management and prevention of the Ebola Virus Disease to the DRC Minister of Health as per recommendations of the latest meeting of SADEC Ministers of Public Health held in Zimbabwe.

Two hotline numbers have been set up to allow the population to get information on the disease and ongoing efforts: 081 08 000 20 and 099 99 710 05. An additional hotline for information on the prevention of the EVD is available using Tigo: 119.

The contingency plan for Kinshasa has been finalized, but actions for its full activation are yet to be taken.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Lulz, Sexist Cal is Racist Cal, too.

jimmy olsen

Finally some good news? Sounds nice, however even if all 3,000 of those sent were health care workers, and they're not (most will be logistics or guards), that would still only be enough to man 1052 beds and at this stage that is unfortunately not enough, let alone in 2-4 weeks or whenever they get there. These things take weeks to get on the ground usually, sometimes more, and every two weeks to three the numbers double.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/15/ebola-crisis-obama-administration-to-request-1-billion-to-fight-outbreak/

QuoteThe Obama administration plans to ask Congress to approve $1 billion to fight Ebola, sources say, as the U.S. military command in Africa makes countering the deadly disease its highest priority.

The increased funding would result in the deployment of approximately 3,000 U.S. military personnel, the creation of a joint task force commanded by a three-star officer, military provision of logistics and mobility support, three field medical facilities and a training program for health care workers, a source told Fox News on Monday.

The support is estimated to last at least six months and cost upwards of $1 billion dollars, with estimated daily costs of at least $5.4 million a day.

The request would not be in addition to money that's already been approved, but rather, re-appropriating existing funding.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Took him long enough.  The UN should have been mobilizing a large response months ago.  I mean geez what good are they if they cannot facilitate a response to a disease?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2014, 11:13:27 PM
Took him long enough.  The UN should have been mobilizing a large response months ago.  I mean geez what good are they if they cannot facilitate a response to a disease?
Don't worry Valmy, the UN Debating Club Security Council is going to have an emergency meeting on this Thursday.

1 Karma Chameleon point