Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on October 01, 2014, 09:35:01 PM
Our society has an irrational fear of Ebola that is hyped up by the news media and entertainment industry.

Also Tim.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on October 02, 2014, 10:50:30 AM
Our society has an irrational fear of Ebola that is hyped up by the news media and entertainment industry.

Also Tim.

Is that one really irrational?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Lassa fever has been killing 5000-10000 West Africans every year since the 1960s yet most of you probably haven't heard of it or heard about the imported US cases of it that show up in our emergency rooms.

So what you're saying is that Lassa fever is the hipster ebola?

Yeah I've got Lassa fever. It's big in West Africa. You've probably never heard of it.

Berkut

I am not afriad of ebola, but I do think this is a tragedy of epic scale going on in the world, and regardless of the threat it poses to me (negligble) this is a huge story and we should be "panicked" that we apparently are nearly helpless to save what looks to be tens, if not hundreds, of thousands who are likely to die.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2014, 11:58:47 AM
I am not afriad of ebola, but I do think this is a tragedy of epic scale going on in the world, and regardless of the threat it poses to me (negligble) this is a huge story and we should be "panicked" that we apparently are nearly helpless to save what looks to be tens, if not hundreds, of thousands who are likely to die.

:yes:

garbon

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/219585-republicans-call-for-ebola-czar

QuoteRepublicans call for Ebola czar

Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) said Thursday that the lack of a central U.S. authority on Ebola has hindered lawmakers' ability to confront the crisis's major funding challenges.

Moran, ranking member on the Appropriations Committee's health subcommittee, said he doesn't know what resources are needed to control the outbreak because President Obama has not appointed one person to direct the response.

"There is no person to go to, to tell us how all this is going to be funded," Moran told Buzzfeed News. "And I don't think there is a plan internationally to bring the folks together to combat this."

Moran, who is also the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, is the latest Republican to criticize President Obama's leadership on the deadly disease that reached the U.S. this week.

His comments also amplify GOP calls for an "Ebola czar."

Republicans first called for the White House to appoint an official to oversee Ebola efforts, led by Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio).

"We are now more than six months into an Ebola epidemic and it remains unclear who is coordinating and leading the U.S. response," Portman wrote in a statement on Sept. 16. He said the lack of a U.S. coordinator has "led to a delay in an effective U.S. government response and an absence of financial and operational accountability."

The U.S. has committed more than $1 billion in an attempt to contain the outbreak, spread across a half-dozen executive agencies ranging from the Department of Homeland Security to the U.S. Agency for International Development.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

:rolleyes: Moran.  There are enough czars already. 

In other news, Minister Farrakhan says the virus was created by white people to kill blacks (shock) and an anti-gun group is blaming the NRA for the outbreak.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2014, 02:01:51 PM

In other news, Minister Farrakhan says the virus was created by white people to kill blacks (shock) and an anti-gun group is blaming the NRA for the outbreak.

Sweet Louie I can see, the anti gun group not so much.  Link?

Fate

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2014, 11:58:47 AM

We aren't helpless. Ebola patients treated in the United States have a 0% mortality rate to date. If you get Ebola in West Africa you're fucked because you can't get IV fluids, pressors, blood products, and hemodialysis. And if you're a health care worker in West Africa you're fucked because not everyone has gloves/goggles/impermeable gowns to protect against nosocomial transmission. We can fix those two things in West Africa, but it's going to take lots of American funding and manpower.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2014, 02:05:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2014, 02:01:51 PM

Sweet Louie I can see, the anti gun group not so much.  Link?

Twitter.  Can't provide the link at work but here is the text:

QuoteEbola now in the US. Surgeon General should be leading the way on public health education but NRA stalled nomination. No outrage?

— States United (@CeasefireUSA) October 2, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?