Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Tim, are your no-brainer one liner comments to the posted articles meant as a self-parody or are you being serious?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2014, 03:02:57 AM
Tim, are your no-brainer one liner comments to the posted articles meant as a self-parody or are you being serious?

A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

I definitely post in that fashion because it's my personality here and it's expected of me, but they are serious in this case. I mean, what else can you say when entire nations are barreling towards their doom and the very people who have the responsibility to prevent it are facilitating it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I think you are overreacting.

People are dying in throes in Africa because people are dying in throes in Africa. If it is not Ebola, then it is sectarian or tribal violence, famine or AIDS.

On the other hand, given that there have been 2 cases of Ebola in America during this outbreak so far, I don't think it is "really alarming" that all hospital staff everywhere is not fully trained to deal with Ebola patients, as it would be a massive waste of resources (I bet there are countless of other diseases with a similar near-zero occurence in the US for which the staff is not specifically trained either).

Liep

The problem is this has the potential to spiral out of control. If it didn't, then it'd be absurd to focus so much on Ebola when more people are dying of hunger each day or of any of the other diseases going about because of poor hygiene or whatever.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Because of the complete lack of effective intervention, the middle projection is now the conservative estimate. And it still hasn't been plausibly explained how we would have been able to handle and put a stop to an epidemic with more than 3,000 cases a day let alone the 10,000 that are projected by the middle line. Simply put, we can't. It's going to run out of control until the number of survivors outnumbers the number of uninfected.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

The report of 121 dead in one day in Sierra Leone was misreported after all, that was only the confirmed cases. If you added in the probable and suspected cases as Liberia and Guinea do then 245 died.  :o

I really hope they're just finally adding in all those bodies they found during the quarantine, otherwise it's worse than even I thought.

Oct 4 report
http://health.gov.sl/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ebola-Situation-Report_Vol-129.pdf

Oct 5 report
http://health.gov.sl/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ebola-Situation-Report_Vol-130.pdf

1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Excellent tv report about Liberia from SkyNews's always good Alex Crawford, worth a viewing:

http://news.sky.com/story/1347989/ebola-deaths-hidden-as-fear-grips-liberia
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 06, 2014, 08:25:10 AM
Any idea if this has made it's way to China/India?

Nah, but don't worry;  it'll be China that's going to eventually give us the influenza bug that's really going to scare the piss out of you.

Grey Fox

I will be scared for me, my friends and my family. But I will not fear for the species.

We need a major reduction in numbers anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 06, 2014, 09:00:56 AM
I will be scared for me, my friends and my family. But I will not fear for the species.

I think North America is fine.  For other places, it might not hurt.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 06, 2014, 09:00:56 AM

Nah, we need more people.  More people = higher GDP.  We can squeeze more people onto this planet.  Reclaim more land from the oceans.  Make it so that every city has Hong Kong's level of density.  Dig deeper into the ground.  Taller buildings.  Buildings all over the place.  We need more people.