Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

CountDeMoney

I work just a few hundred feet from labs with every strain of Ebola, all four flavors of dengue, every known variant of H and N that has walked this earth plus some we've invented, and every other known pathogen and select agent in the book, and nobody's panicking over an Ebola case in Texas.   Why?  Because this is the United Motherfucking States, not Voodoostanistan.

You want to worry about something, worry about hurricanes.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2014, 01:45:53 PM
I work just a few hundred feet from labs with every strain of Ebola, all four flavors of dengue, every known variant of H and N that has walked this earth plus some we've invented, and every other known pathogen and select agent in the book, and nobody's panicking over an Ebola case in Texas.   Why?  Because this is the United Motherfucking States, not Voodoostanistan.

You want to worry about something, worry about hurricanes.

First, Sharknado.  Now, Ebolacane!  :ph34r:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

The problem(for us) is that if we let the disease ravage Voodoostanistan long enough, it'll result in massive movements of people in numbers even our health care system can't handle.

Agreed that this Texas outbreak will be contained.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Oh, and you guys saw the new SLJ movie announcement, right?

Ebola on a Plane!

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking germs on this motherfucking plane!"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

And yet you gave me shit about renaming the thread "Ebolapalooza".

grumbler

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Then I suppose we can count you out for "Starvationpalooza '15".   :mad:

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2014, 10:13:42 AM
Works for me.  Texan Liberians, Texo-Liberians, Liberian Texans, or Libero-Texans would seem too goofy.

Quarantine Texan Librarians. Given that noone reads books there, they seem fishy.

derspiess

So apparently the preppers are in full hoarding mode, thanks to this Texas case. 

Ed: how many months' food do you have stockpiled??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2014, 04:04:23 PM
So apparently the preppers are in full hoarding mode, thanks to this Texas case. 

No wifi in the bunker.

Fate

The hysteria is pretty retarded. Unless you're in a third world country a virus like Ebola isn't much of a concern. The reason it's so bad in Africa is that they don't have the capacity to isolate those with the virus so the sick end up being cared for at home. Those caretakers then get infected and the chain of death continues. Not a single physician with Doctor's Without Borders has gotten Ebola because isolation and contact/droplet precautions works. Most hospitals in America are capable of treating Ebola patients.

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2014, 04:04:23 PM

Yeah, they're an odd bunch, that's a group of them on a forum I sometimes frequent. They always act like the latest concern is the big one, the calamity that'll prove them right, in a way it's like wish fulfilment.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on October 01, 2014, 04:12:11 PM
Yeah, they're an odd bunch, that's a group of them on a forum I sometimes frequent. They always act like the latest concern is the big one, the calamity that'll prove them right, in a way it's like wish fulfilment.  <_<

It's fun to witness sometimes.  I have a Facebook friend I went to high school with and she is a big time prepper.  Anytime the electricity goes out she's all like "GET USED TO IT PEOPLE".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney