Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

If I learned anything from the Outbreak movie it is that we're screwed by the long incubation time. I say screw the quarantine and fire bomb Texas.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Works for me.  Texan Liberians, Texo-Liberians, Liberian Texans, or Libero-Texans would seem too goofy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on October 01, 2014, 10:14:25 AM
Oops I need to add a barrel of tar* though.

* incidentally I've no idea where I could go with that to make a joke out of it.

RACISS
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on October 01, 2014, 10:54:22 AM
:huh:  What do librarians have to do with Ebola?

The disease has been documented to by carried by: bookworm :contract:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Liep on October 01, 2014, 11:09:37 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/01/health/ebola-us/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Does this mean we can blame Fate for America's destruction?

QuoteCNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta asked Frieden Wednesday on "New Day" if the man should have been tested for Ebola on his first visit to the hospital, and if he should have been asked about his recent travel history.

"That's one of the things we'll be looking at," Frieden said. "But we're reiterating the message for every health worker in this country -- think about travel history. If someone's been in West Africa within 21 days and they've got a fever, immediately isolate them and get them tested for Ebola."

Gupta then asked Frieden to explain guidance the CDC has issued on that and again asked: "Should this person have been tested?"

"We weren't there so I can't tell you exactly what that person said..." Frieden responded.

Gupta interjected, "You're advising public health departments. Last time I was here (at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta) there was a call with many primary care doctors to educate them on this exact issue. That was a couple of months ago. Should this person have been tested?"

Frieden answered, "We know that in busy emergency departments all over the country, people may not ask travel histories. I don't know if that was done here. But we need to make sure that it is done going forward."

Gupta sounds tiresome in "transcript". Did he hope the CDC director would misspeak and answer the question if asked enough?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2014, 11:20:52 AM
Gupta sounds tiresome in "transcript". Did he hope the CDC director would misspeak and answer the question if asked enough?
No shit.  Of course, if gupta were a good doctor, that's what he'd be doing, instead of being a shitty "medical correspondent." 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Isn't there some sort of screening going on in Customs/Immigration?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on October 01, 2014, 11:57:24 AM
Quote from: Fate on October 01, 2014, 09:58:03 AM

Second ebola case suspected...

See. It doubled in less than 24 hours.

We're doomed!

In 28 days all Americans will be infected. It was nice knowing you all.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?