Liberation Theology is in - should Yi be concerned?

Started by crazy canuck, February 25, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 11:33:54 AM
Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 11:27:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 10:46:36 AM
Nobody beats up on secularism because of the execution of lavoisier.
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 10:46:56 AM
What a terrible analogy.
:hmm:

That's not an analogy.  Lavoiser was actually executed by a stridently secularist government.

I think the point Max was making is that his execution had nothing to do with him being a scientist and everything to do with being an aristocrat.

Maximus

Also that "secularism" is not an organization.

Razgovory

I'm not actually clear who the scientist was who was burned at the stake.  I assume it was Bruno, but he really wasn't a scientist though he is celebrated as one sometimes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 11:40:46 AM

I think Raz was talking about the Government which ruled after the French revolution which he characterizes as secularist.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 11:45:49 AM
Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 11:40:46 AM

I think Raz was talking about the Government which ruled after the French revolution which he characterizes as secularist.

Cool, so Raz is a libertarian now!

:P

Razgovory

:huh:  I think it's fair to characterize Revolutionary France as "secularist".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 11:57:56 AM
Yes, but secularism is not revolutionary France. Conflating the two is what makes it a terrible  analogy.

Valmy

Yeah don't most secular states have an official church where the government pays all the priests?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:13:10 PM
Yes, but secularism is not revolutionary France. Conflating the two is what makes it a terrible  analogy.

It is an ideology though, one endorsed by France and one they used coercion to enforce.

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:17:06 PM
It is an ideology though, one endorsed by France and one they used coercion to enforce.
Yea, so? The ideology didn't kill him. The organization did.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:28:15 PM
Yea, so? The ideology didn't kill him. The organization did.

And...?

Maximus

"Nobody beats up on secularism because of the execution of lavoisier." makes no sense since secularism didn't execute him.

Now if you had said that nobody beats up on Revolutionary France because of the execution of lavoisier, that would not have been as bad of an analogy. It just would have been incorrect.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 11:23:08 AM
CC acknowledges that it is impossible for Catholics to see the hypocrisy of their position.  Doesn't that mitigate the crime to some extent, in your eyes?

A Strawman contest. :w00t:  I love watching you do those.  You are off to a wonderful start. [/quote]

Not a strawman, but simply a mis-attribution:
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2014, 09:36:11 AM
There's no hypocrisy from a Catholic perspective in a fancy cathedral and charity or being a poor Church.

I wouldn't bother to enter a strawman contest, since we all know you are far more practiced in it than anyone else here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:32:24 PM
"Nobody beats up on secularism because of the execution of lavoisier." makes no sense since secularism didn't execute him.

Now if you had said that nobody beats up on Revolutionary France because of the execution of lavoisier, that would not have been as bad of an analogy. It just would have been incorrect.

So tell me, what do you believe is the relationship between a government and the ideology that the government is devoted to?

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:13:10 PM

How did France endorse it?  The effort failed pretty spectacularly, was extremely short-lived, and was un-Constitutional.  Something that was endorsed by the whole country should have had more staying power.  Associating Atheism with the French Revolution is a common error though, one which the Church went along with during the restoration and ironically actually DID lead to massive de-Christianization in the 19th century as being Christian came to be associated with being Monarchist.  Whoops.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."