Liberation Theology is in - should Yi be concerned?

Started by crazy canuck, February 25, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 10:42:18 AM
I see this is not so much a critique of the current Pope for Tamas but a deep seated historical hatred for the Catholic Church.

Pretty much. We are not excusing Nazism just because Hitler was a great dancer. Why think Catholicism is all nice and hip just because they managed to stumble upon a Pope who knows how to handle the media?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2014, 10:35:02 AM
Christ. You burn one scientist...

:P

Nobody beats up on secularism because of the execution of lavoisier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2014, 10:43:47 AM
I see this is not so much a critique of the current Pope for Tamas but a deep seated historical hatred for the Catholic Church.

Pretty much. We are not excusing Nazism just because Hitler was a great dancer. Why think Catholicism is all nice and hip just because they managed to stumble upon a Pope who knows how to handle the media?

What a terrible analogy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 10:46:56 AM
What a terrible analogy.

Marty may be gone but it warms my heart to see his spirit and example live on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

You cannot really dislike something without using Nazi references on it, I believe.

Beenherebefore

Corner paint is going cheap these days, it seems.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

HVC

and they said sorry. What more do people want?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2014, 10:02:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2014, 09:56:12 AM
True, I consider the Catholic Church a flawed and historically very hindering construction, that's only saving grace for continued existence is the fact that it has grown largely insignificant as a force to slow down humanity's progress, and as such it is no longer as a big issue as it had been for almost a thousand years.

You are aware that at no time did the Catholic Church control the entire world right?
OOOH!  A non sequitur contest!  I love those.  You are off to a great start!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. 

Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

CC acknowledges that it is impossible for Catholics to see the hypocrisy of their position.  Doesn't that mitigate the crime to some extent, in your eyes?

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2014, 11:19:33 AM

CC acknowledges that it is impossible for Catholics to see the hypocrisy of their position.  Doesn't that mitigate the crime to some extent, in your eyes?

A Strawman contest. :w00t:  I love watching you do those.  You are off to a wonderful start.

Maximus

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 11:27:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 10:46:36 AM
Nobody beats up on secularism because of the execution of lavoisier.
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 10:46:56 AM
What a terrible analogy.
:hmm:

That's not an analogy.  Lavoiser was actually executed by a stridently secularist government.