Liberation Theology is in - should Yi be concerned?

Started by crazy canuck, February 25, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Got enough nibbles on this in the off topic thread to make a separate thread.

It appears that Liberation Theology is being being brought in from the cold by the new Pope.  The usual Languish suspects are for and against.

Here is the story. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/criticized-by-benedict-liberation-theology-founder-gets-heros-welcome-at-vatican/article17101918/

This appears to be a big shift in the Vatican.  Although Liberation Theology has been around, particularly in the Americas, for some time Rome has given it a cold shoulder.  Up until now.

What says Languish on this move.  Frankly I think it makes a lot of sense from a theological point of view.  But I can understand why Yi is nervous.  I mean what would happen to shareholder value if helping people became a dominant ethic?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Admiral Yi

Jacob

He's not, but he has in the past expressed grave misgivings about liberation theology if I recall correctly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2014, 11:06:51 PM
AFAIK, Yi is not Catholic.

What does that have to do with anything?  Yi isnt a union member either, at least I dont think he is, but that doesnt stop him from holding forth on the evils of unions.

Eddie Teach

If he was a member of a union, he might have more cause to care what the head of the AFL-CIO has to say.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2014, 11:14:42 PM
If he was a member of a union, he might have more cause to care what the head of the AFL-CIO has to say.

Certainly,  but not being a member has never stopped our Yi from holding very negative views on things like Liberation Theology or Unions - hence the title of the thread.

garbon

I'm still confused. Why are we to be proponents of liberation theology?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 25, 2014, 11:08:41 PM
He's not, but he has in the past expressed grave misgivings about liberation theology if I recall correctly.

That's not really correct.  Seedy has asked me if the Jesuits at Georgetown were into liberation theology, as I think some of his were at...I forget where, and I told him that they were more right leaning.

I asked you what you thought it meant in the other thread, as it seems to mean anything from "be nice to poor people" to "take up arms and kill the rich."

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 11:19:12 PM
I'm still confused. Why are we to be proponents of liberation theology?

You never would be, not in a thousand years :hug:

Drakken

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2014, 11:19:56 PM
Sure, but why should the pope holding a view contrary to his own give him pause?

Wouldn't be the first time. Leon XIII practically retracted everything his predecessor Pius IX had declared forbidden in the Syllabus of Errors.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2014, 11:20:17 PM
I asked you what you thought it meant in the other thread, as it seems to mean anything from "be nice to poor people" to "take up arms and kill the rich."

Do you have a cite to anyone within the Liberation Theology movement who has ever preached the kill the rich version you say exists?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2014, 11:22:35 PM
Do you have a cite to anyone within the Liberation Theology movement who has ever preached the kill the rich version you say exists?

I don't have a cite to anything.  Do you?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2014, 11:23:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2014, 11:22:35 PM

I don't have a cite to anything.  Do you?

No, I dont think such a cite exists and you were just talking out your ass