Liberation Theology is in - should Yi be concerned?

Started by crazy canuck, February 25, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2014, 12:38:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:13:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 11:57:56 AM
:huh:  I think it's fair to characterize Revolutionary France as "secularist".
Yes, but secularism is not revolutionary France. Conflating the two is what makes it a terrible  analogy.

It is an ideology though, one endorsed by France and one they used coercion to enforce.

How did France endorse it?  The effort failed pretty spectacularly, was extremely short-lived, and was un-Constitutional.  Something that was endorsed by the whole country should have had more staying power.  Associating Atheism with the French Revolution is a common error though, one which the Church went along with during the restoration and ironically actually DID lead to massive de-Christianization in the 19th century as being Christian came to be associated with being Monarchist.  Whoops.

By executing a lot of people, that's how they endorsed it.  It doesn't matter how badly they did and how long they did it, the revolutionary regime did endorse secularism.  Also I never said atheism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2014, 12:37:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 11:23:08 AM
CC acknowledges that it is impossible for Catholics to see the hypocrisy of their position.  Doesn't that mitigate the crime to some extent, in your eyes?

A Strawman contest. :w00t:  I love watching you do those.  You are off to a wonderful start.

So now you are reduced to deceit.  :(

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:38:30 PM
So tell me, what do you believe is the relationship between a government and the ideology that the government is devoted to?
One is an organization and the other is an idea that organization uses.

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:32:24 PM
"Nobody beats up on secularism because of the execution of lavoisier." makes no sense since secularism didn't execute him.

Now if you had said that nobody beats up on Revolutionary France because of the execution of lavoisier, that would not have been as bad of an analogy. It just would have been incorrect.
I see this is not so much a defense of the current Pope for Raz but a deep historical hatred for the secularism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:42:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:38:30 PM
So tell me, what do you believe is the relationship between a government and the ideology that the government is devoted to?
One is an organization and the other is an idea that organization uses.

So you would distinguish between say the Catholic Church and the Papal States, or Vatican City and the Catholic faith?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2014, 12:43:27 PM
"Nobody beats up on secularism because of the execution of lavoisier." makes no sense since secularism didn't execute him.

Now if you had said that nobody beats up on Revolutionary France because of the execution of lavoisier, that would not have been as bad of an analogy. It just would have been incorrect.
I see this is not so much a defense of the current Pope for Raz but a deep historical hatred for the secularism.

You know, for a guy who's pretending I'm not here, you sure write about me a lot.  I'm beginning to think you might have a crush on me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2014, 12:43:27 PM

:w00t:  imitation is the greatest form of flattery.  Thanks Grumbles. :hug:  For a deceitful sod you can be ok at times.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:41:18 PM
By executing a lot of people, that's how they endorsed it.  It doesn't matter how badly they did and how long they did it, the revolutionary regime did endorse secularism.  Also I never said atheism.

The Revolutionary regime, for most of its tenure anyway, was pretty obviously not secular as they did not endorse the concept of separation of church and state.  Rather a state-run church that was sorta kinda Catholic but not.  Henry VIII and his successors also punished people for not going along with the state church.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:45:06 PM
So you would distinguish between say the Catholic Church and the Papal States, or Vatican City and the Catholic faith?
Of course.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on March 13, 2014, 12:52:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:45:06 PM
Of course.

Okay good enough.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2014, 12:48:30 PM
The Revolutionary regime, for most of its tenure anyway, was pretty obviously not secular as they did not endorse the concept of separation of church and state.  Rather a state-run church that was sorta kinda Catholic but not.  Henry VIII and his successors also punished people for not going along with the state church.

Indeed.  the comparison "Secularism is to the First French republic as Catholicism is to the Catholic Church" is pretty absurd on the face of it, and would only be proposed by someone so ignorant of history as to lack all credibility.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Raz, I how do you feel about Grumbler's passive aggressive behaviour lately?

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 11:45:10 AM
I'm not actually clear who the scientist was who was burned at the stake.  I assume it was Bruno, but he really wasn't a scientist though he is celebrated as one sometimes.

Miguel Servet (Michael Servetus?).

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 12:57:25 PM
Raz, I how do you feel about Grumbler's passive aggressive behaviour lately?

I think he may be into me.