How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2014, 09:49:12 AM

My favourite anime is Madoka Magica.  It is a serious show, despite its name implying it to be a fluffy magical girl show.  One suggestion: avoid all spoilers.  That means no wikis, no reviews, no screenshots.  A large no. of screenshots contain massive spoilers.  Just go watch it.  It is only 12 episodes plus one film.  There are good reasons why this is one of the most well-known and beloved franchises right now. 
I think the only thing I've agreed with about anime in this thread. Madoka Magica is fantastic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 10:01:42 AM
Also, all this thread has taught me so far is that it is proper to judge anime fans. -_-

One does get the impression, hopefully mistaken, that most of these shows basically appeal to pervs.  :lol:

I mean, naked 12 year olds? And it's okay because she's the sexually aggressive one? No. Just ... no.

Freud would have had a field day with sunken Japanese battleships personified by sexy schoolgirls.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 12, 2014, 10:53:54 AM
Also, all this thread has taught me so far is that it is proper to judge anime fans. -_-

One does get the impression, hopefully mistaken, that most of these shows basically appeal to pervs.  :lol:

I mean, naked 12 year olds? And it's okay because she's the sexually aggressive one? No. Just ... no.

Freud would have had a field day with sunken Japanese battleships personified by sexy schoolgirls.

Indeed to all of the above.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

There's a lot anime that is much more serious and not like that at all.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 12, 2014, 09:14:11 AM
Every Japanese ship of note in the war has a personification. To a greater extent than one would think possible, their personalities are informed by and reflect the ship in question. (The Kongo was built in Britain, and this manifests itself in gratuitous english and a love for tea time.)
Well, I'm sold.  Are there any male characters?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: celedhring on February 11, 2014, 07:13:55 PM
Actually I think the relative downfall of anime in the West (and the reason we don't see so much of the stuff getting a proper release here) is that it's no longer considered for kids and the market for adult/young adult animation is very small.

Actually, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim has been so successful that Fox has created a similar set of late-night programming.  The model is a bit different, though, in that individual episodes tend to be short (~15 minutes).  Marketplace on NPR recently discussed this trend.

celedhring

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 12, 2014, 11:44:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 11, 2014, 07:13:55 PM
Actually I think the relative downfall of anime in the West (and the reason we don't see so much of the stuff getting a proper release here) is that it's no longer considered for kids and the market for adult/young adult animation is very small.

Actually, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim has been so successful that Fox has created a similar set of late-night programming.  The model is a bit different, though, in that individual episodes tend to be short (~15 minutes).  Marketplace on NPR recently discussed this trend.

That's locally produced stuff though. And all of it very ironic/self-referential based on your local culture. It's going to have an easier time than Japanese warship-girls.

Mind, I would love for more stuff to get to the West like it used to 15-20 years ago.

Neil

I, for one, am just fine with warship girls.  Or warship boys, warship dogs, warship cats, warship camels or just about anything as relates to warships.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Isn't manga popular? At least most remaining bookstore chains have been excited about it.

On the anime front, I'd suggest a connection to pervdom is probably another big issue. Particularly that nude under age girls bit...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2014, 12:19:14 PM
I, for one, am just fine with warship girls.  Or warship boys, warship dogs, warship cats, warship camels or just about anything as relates to warships.

Gay warships?

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on February 12, 2014, 10:53:54 AM

Or all the ones with the one normal guy who is irresistibly attractive to every girl he meets.  There are a lot of lonely people in Japan, for that sort of thing to be such a trope.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 12:21:22 PM

Gay warships?
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash!"

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 12:21:22 PM

Gay warships?
So long as they can behave in a tolerable manner, I can deal with that.  Although gay warships would be the least preferable type.

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2014, 10:19:50 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2014, 09:49:12 AM
This is our anime thread.  Or you can start one.

Actually we have one.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,6939.msg373122.html#msg373122

Huh.  I participated in it too  :blush:

Judge all you want.  I just want recommendations on good anime  :P

Current seasons or stuff that's old enough to have been officially "released"...?

Anyway, for the last couple of seasons I'd say the ones I've enjoyed/am enjoying the most have been -

"Log Horizon"
"Strike the Blood"
"Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta"

and, surprisingly, "Buddy Complex".

I've got a feeling there was some controversy in Asia about "Outbreak Company", and "Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita" (AKA Yuushibu) seems to be a love it or hate it series with no middle ground. I'd still recommend them both though.

As for most disappointing show of recent seasons I'd have to go with the adaptation of "Arpeggio of Blue Steel"; they dumbed down or simply dropped huge chunks of the plot, the characters (those that weren't left out) and then went off on a wild tangent to come up with an ending that's actually past the point the Manga is currently at despite leaving out a large number of chapters and only having a 12 episode series. :(

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."