How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126235052/kancolle/images/2/29/136_2.png

There's no reason to think you have to wait. While it is true an anime is coming, Kantai Collection is already a very successful game with a wide degree of merchandise. I have a nice decal of the Atago on my laptop.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Monoriu

Lettow, anything else you think is worth watching?  I plan to watch these for the Spring 2014 season:

Akuma no Riddle

Black Bullet

Fairy Tail

One Piece

Kiwaguro No Brynhildr

Mekaku City Actors

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Syt

I prefer my animes to be a bit more "grounded" - hence my preference for things like Legend of Galactic Heroes (or "Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel" :P ) or Ergo Proxy. I don't mind whackier stuff now and then, but it's not my prime fare.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Our taste has got to be pretty different, Mono, but Jojo has huge crossover appeal with how great it was. If you haven't seen the first season yet, you ought to; I'm looking forward to the second.

KyoAni hasn't announced what they'll be putting out this season; it'll be gobbled up by the usual suspects no matter what it is. Mekaku City Actors reminds me a lot of Sasami-san@ganbaranai, and that was a disaster.

The new Mushishi content, in whatever form it takes, will be great. Overall, there's not much I can see that I am excited about. This season is uncharacteristically light on fluffy plots of cute girls doing cute things without much in the way of direction or storytelling.

Syt: Logh is amazing, but you lost me at ergo proxy as an example of a grounded work

Syt

Ergo Proxy is pretentious as fuck, but it largely dispenses with a lot of over the top tropes and most of the kawaii department.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 12, 2014, 08:00:15 AM
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126235052/kancolle/images/2/29/136_2.png

There's no reason to think you have to wait. While it is true an anime is coming, Kantai Collection is already a very successful game with a wide degree of merchandise. I have a nice decal of the Atago on my laptop.

Can't wait and see the Pacific Fleet try to sink those b*****s. Or are the baddies some aliens or whatever?

To be honest, I have been very disconnected from anime for the past... 10-15 years? TV stations and DVD distributors over here progressively stopped releasing it, and pretty much stuck to more kiddie fare. What should I really really try to watch? I concur on liking the more grounded stuff.

Do we have an anime thread?

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 12, 2014, 05:46:17 AM
Strike Witches is old and busted. The point of interest is Kantai Collection now.
Wait a minute...  Are those girls warships?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Every Japanese ship of note in the war has a personification. To a greater extent than one would think possible, their personalities are informed by and reflect the ship in question. (The Kongo was built in Britain, and this manifests itself in gratuitous english and a love for tea time.)

Valmy

I find it a bit bizarre that a country of old people worships youth to the extent the Japanese do.   If they love young people so much why don't they have any?  Or maybe they love idealized fetishized youth and actual young people not so much...I guess I can see that.  Get off our lawns, we have anime to watch.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2014, 04:23:15 AM
QuoteIf a politician say he believes X, then appoints other people to positions of authority that believe X, who then go on to spread propaganda favoring that view to the nation via public broadcasting, then it's fair to suspect that perhaps that politician really does hold that view close to his heart.
He has to prove his credentials somehow. He can make a bold foreign policy move or he can appoint an idiot to a plum position in NHK. Or it could be that they're both just playing the same game. Or it could be he actually does believe that stuff. Don't just assume the last one is definitely the right one.

At some point, I guess it doesn't really matter if he believes it or not.

If all his practical actions are to do things that he would do if he did in fact believe it, and those actions have real and actual policy implications (like appointing someone who beleives this bullshit to a position where that belief actually matters to the job), then it doesn't actually make any difference whether he believes it or not.

He might be a double super secret Ghandi, but that makes little difference if he is forced to act like a douchebag all the time anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on February 12, 2014, 08:49:04 AM

Can't wait and see the Pacific Fleet try to sink those b*****s. Or are the baddies some aliens or whatever?

To be honest, I have been very disconnected from anime for the past... 10-15 years? TV stations and DVD distributors over here progressively stopped releasing it, and pretty much stuck to more kiddie fare. What should I really really try to watch? I concur on liking the more grounded stuff.

Do we have an anime thread?

This is our anime thread.  Or you can start one.

My favourite anime is Madoka Magica.  It is a serious show, despite its name implying it to be a fluffy magical girl show.  One suggestion: avoid all spoilers.  That means no wikis, no reviews, no screenshots.  A large no. of screenshots contain massive spoilers.  Just go watch it.  It is only 12 episodes plus one film.  There are good reasons why this is one of the most well-known and beloved franchises right now. 

There are 3 films, but the first two are summaries of the TV series.  If you have not yet been spoiled, I suggest watching the TV series, as the movies assume that you've already watched the TV series and contain a spoiler opening.  Film 3 is a true sequel.  The BD will be out on 2 April 2014. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2014, 09:49:12 AM

Actually we have one.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,6939.msg373122.html#msg373122

Also, all this thread has taught me so far is that it is proper to judge anime fans. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 10:01:42 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2014, 09:49:12 AM

Actually we have one.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,6939.msg373122.html#msg373122

Also, all this thread has taught me so far is that it is proper to judge anime fans. -_-

Huh.  I participated in it too  :blush:

Judge all you want.  I just want recommendations on good anime  :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7544334.html

Hey Syt, there is going to be a new LoGH show.  Not sure if it is another gaiden or a remake of the classic.