Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Extra bonus: Meri's governor is a Republican now. HAHA
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I'm not laughing at Seedy's new governor though. No sir.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

A nine point GOP victory in Maryland is inconceivable.  :huh:

That's like a Republican winning the mayor of DC.

derspiess

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 11:19:29 AM
A nine point GOP victory in Maryland is inconceivable.  :huh:

It's an election for governor. It is probably the high profile race people are most likely to vote for the guy rather than the party. Lots of democratic states get republican governors. A similar dynamic has given NYC republican mayors like Guiliani and Bloomberg (before he became independent).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2014, 12:11:40 PM
People must have been pissed.

2010 was such a bad year for the democrats it is hard to see how they don't come back in 2016.

On the other hand, 2018 should be a very bad year for the Democrats. Not sure how the republicans managed to f up so bad in 2012.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 05, 2014, 10:50:12 AM

I remember someone saying a few years ago that voting in that State wasnt as important because the Dem candidate would always get elected.  I guess enough voters felt that way yesterday.  :(

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2014, 10:37:31 AM

Which is why relying so heavily on statistical analysis in a discipline that doesn't lend itself well to predictive analytics--namely, Political Science--sucks so much.  Politics is a crap shoot subject to human whim, not a science.  IM A POLI CRAP MAJOR

Is there a clubhouse where we can meet up and self-flagellate over our choice of major?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2014, 12:25:03 PMI remember someone saying a few years ago that voting in that State wasnt as important because the Dem candidate would always get elected.  I guess enough voters felt that way yesterday.  :(

"Now many of our Christians have what I call the 'goo-goo syndrome.' Good government. They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people. They never have been from the beginning of our country, and they are not now. As a matter of fact our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down." —Paul Weyrich, Co-Founder of the Heritage Foundation and Moral Majority, 1980

As true for Republican election strategy now as it was in 1980. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on November 05, 2014, 12:25:29 PM

Which is why relying so heavily on statistical analysis in a discipline that doesn't lend itself well to predictive analytics--namely, Political Science--sucks so much.  Politics is a crap shoot subject to human whim, not a science.  IM A POLI CRAP MAJOR

Is there a clubhouse where we can meet up and self-flagellate over our choice of major?

Let me check with Mom.

Jacob

How many entertaining shenanigans do you guys expect to see between Boehner and Cruz?

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on November 05, 2014, 12:25:29 PM

Seemed like a fun idea at the time.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2014, 12:25:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 05, 2014, 10:50:12 AM

I remember someone saying a few years ago that voting in that State wasnt as important because the Dem candidate would always get elected.  I guess enough voters felt that way yesterday.  :(

It was a very close race 4 years ago.  This one shouldn't have been that huge of a surprise.