News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteRelax—Both Parties Are Going Extinct

Our parties are shrinking because each in its own way can't come to terms with decentralization. But it's real, and it's going to bury them.
It's safe to say that by the end of today, a large chunk of Americans will be bitterly disappointed. If Republicans win big, Democrats will hang their heads and cuss the Koch brothers. If the GOP fails to snag the Senate and a fistful of statehouses, its partisans will mope around and blame Ebola-infected illegal immigrants for the loss.

But whichever side emerges victorious, both Republicans and Democrats should face up to a much bigger truth: Neither party as currently constituted has a real future. Fewer and fewer Americans identify as either Republican or Democratic according to Gallup, and both parties are at recent or all-time lows when it comes to approval ratings. Just 39 percent give Democrats a favorable rating and just 33 percent do the same for Republicans. Not coincidentally, each party has also recently had a clear shot at implementing its vision of the good society. If you want to drive down your adversary's approval rating, just give him the reins of power for a few years.

See the rest at the link.

crazy canuck

Out of curiousity, when has one party actually had the "reins of power"?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2014, 04:14:12 PM

National Republicans in the "Age of Good Feelings"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2014, 04:46:22 PM
Lay off Frankie.

That's what I would have told him at the time as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2014, 04:14:12 PM

Obama's first term as president featured a large majority in the house and at points a supermajority in the senate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2014, 05:00:02 PM
and at points a supermajority in the senate.

Big myth, consistently regurgitated.  The Dems never had the supermajority of 60.

Admiral Yi

When did Captain Chappaquidick kick the bucket?