Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2014, 12:39:37 AM
Quote from: sbr on November 04, 2014, 11:47:40 PM
Medical Marijuana failed in Florida.
They got 57%, why did they need 60%?

State constitutional amendments in Florida require a 60% super majority.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 05:12:10 PM
When did Captain Chappaquidick kick the bucket?

I think CdM isn't counting Byrd, because he wasn't in good health.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2014, 05:00:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2014, 04:14:12 PM
Out of curiousity, when has one party actually had the "reins of power"?
Obama's first term as president featured a large majority in the house and at points a supermajority in the senate.
But even then, the party was hugely divided against itself.  The most popular leader in the party was incredibly weak and inexperienced, and the strongest leader in the party was incredibly unpopular and high-handed.  And the third leader was just venal and short-sighted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Neither was the Senate, because you can't vote from a hospital bed.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2014, 05:08:56 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2014, 05:00:02 PM
and at points a supermajority in the senate.

Big myth, consistently regurgitated.  The Dems never had the supermajority of 60.

They did for part of 2009.  And don't get all aspie on us and differentiate the two independents that caucused with the Dems.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2014, 05:21:00 PM

I know he was in and out of the hospital, but the last time he was admitted was just days before he died.

I don't think there was a single filibuster the Republicans pulled off because the Democrats only had 59 votes because Byrd wasn't well.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2014, 05:30:22 PM
They did for part of 2009.  And don't get all aspie on us and differentiate the two independents that caucused with the Dems.

He's right.  They needed Snowe and Specter or the third lib Republican to pass Obamastimulus.

Or at least one of those three.

No, I think Specter had already jumped parties.  Snowe and 2 others.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 05:34:33 PM

He's right.  They needed Snowe and Specter or the third lib Republican to pass Obamastimulus.

Or at least one of those three.

No, I think Specter had already jumped parties.  Snowe and 2 others.

Yeah, but that is because he didn't get some democratic members.

The Minsky Moment

Bottom line he had enough votes for stimulus, which was a good thing and helped rescue the economy, and he had enough votes for Obamacare (aka Romneycare, aka Heritagecare), which has lots of warts, but overall is a good thing.

Obama's faults are not in his legislative agenda which has been pretty sound.  It has been in his management of the exec branch.  Which is why it is too bad that those faults have been punished by removing useful legislative votes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

They did for part of 2009.

Yeah, it was called "recess".  :P

QuoteAnd don't get all aspie on us and differentiate the two independents that caucused with the Dems.

QuoteWhat this shows is is that there were only two time periods during the 111th Congress when the Democrats had a 60 seat majority:

From July 7. 2009 (when Al Franken was officially seated as the Senator from Minnesota after the last of Norm Coleman's challenges came to an end) to August 25, 2009 (when Ted Kennedy died, although Kennedy's illness had kept him from voting for several weeks before that date at least); and
    From September 25, 2009 (when Paul Kirk was appointed to replace Kennedy) to February 4, 2010 (when Scott Brown took office after defeating Martha Coakley);
    For one day in September 2009, Republicans lacked 40 votes due to the resignation of Mel Martinez, who was replaced the next day by George LeMieux

So, to the extent there was a filibuster proof majority in the Senate it lasted during two brief periods which lasted for a total of just over five months when counted altogether (and Congress was in its traditional summer recess for most of the July-August 2009 time frame).

Yes, a stunningly sustained period of legislative action, rivaling only LBJ.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2014, 05:42:47 PM
Bottom line he had enough votes for stimulus, which was a good thing and helped rescue the economy, and he had enough votes for Obamacare (aka Romneycare, aka Heritagecare), which has lots of warts, but overall is a good thing.

I thought he didn't have enough votes for Obamacare, so they had to sneak it in on a concurring resolution, or whatever they call it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2014, 05:15:31 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2014, 12:39:37 AM
Quote from: sbr on November 04, 2014, 11:47:40 PM
Medical Marijuana failed in Florida.
They got 57%, why did they need 60%?

State constitutional amendments in Florida require a 60% super majority.
It seems ridiculous that one has to amend the state constitution to legalize weed. Can't that be done with normal legislation?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2014, 05:21:00 PM

They don't allow folks to vote electronically these days?

You shouldn't actually have to be present if you're ill.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

So sad that people are blaming obama for his failures and voting in such a way that it will be even harder for him to do anything.
Enjoy a few years of no government yanks! :cheers:
██████
██████
██████