News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

also

QuoteLisa Mascaro writes in the Los Angeles Times that at least one African-American Republican candidate and possibly two openly gay Republican candidates could win House seats today.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 11:27:56 PM
also

QuoteLisa Mascaro writes in the Los Angeles Times that at least one African-American Republican candidate and possibly two openly gay Republican candidates could win House seats today.

Well, you win enough seats, you can let a few token minorities have some.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Wow.  Nick Joe Rahall from my old home district in WV has finally been unseated.  WV now has three GOP congressmen and a GOP senator. Never thought I would live to see the day.

Phillip V

Republicans may have at least 54 Senate seats. Obama has gone from powerful Democratic majorities to an even weaker Congressional position than Bush in 2006.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

dps

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 11:35:09 PM
Wow.  Nick Joe Rahall from my old home district in WV has finally been unseated.  WV now has three GOP congressmen and a GOP senator. Never thought I would live to see the day.

Yeah, I thought Rahall was as secure as any House seat in the country.  It wasn't that long ago that he was getting something like 75-80% of the vote in general elections.

sbr

Everyone is calling it for the 'Yes' in legalizing pot in Oregon.  It passed in Washington DC as well, and should pass in Alaska once the polls close.

sbr

Medical Marijuana failed in Florida.

derspiess

derspiess

Joni Ernst's laugh annoys me but she's still somehow endearing.

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on November 04, 2014, 11:36:50 PM
Republicans may have at least 54 Senate seats. Obama has gone from powerful Democratic majorities to an even weaker Congressional position than Bush in 2006.

No big loss since he couldn't get that much done even with powerful Democratic majorities.  This will hurt the Republicans in 2016 though because for whatever reason we just keep passing control from party to party hoping somebody will not suck someday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2014, 11:52:12 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on November 04, 2014, 11:36:50 PM

No big loss since he couldn't get that much done even with powerful Democratic majorities.  This will hurt the Republicans in 2016 though because for whatever reason we just keep passing control from party to party hoping somebody will not suck someday.

I think there is a chance this works out for the best. It is tough to accurately assign blame when no one controls congress. In the past, some of the best moments of government we've had have been when the president and congress were in different parties.

What is probably more likely is that congress now will just pass more stupid shit that gets vetoed, and Obama says fuck those guys and issues a bunch of executive orders which the courts strike down.

derspiess

Guys, it's all good.  Barack called Senate and House leaders for a meeting Friday.  Maybe he'll even make it a beer summit.  Next two years will be: progress.