2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2014, 08:54:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2014, 06:12:52 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 04, 2014, 06:00:41 PM
I voted all R's too.

Bah.  Ohio Republicans are as squirrelly as they come.

Even though I live up in Cracker County, I'm still a Baltimore County property tax payer, so I never changed registration.  Voted all Ds, even though I had initially considered abstaining from governor, since Brown was O'Malley's LG and those fuckers cost me my job.

There was a Libertarian running for Attorney General that's made the race closer between the Democrat and the Fascist Party nominees, but that just felt...wrong.  Libertarian Attorney General.  Tits on a bull.
Here's what I don't get.  Yeah, O'Malley really fucked you, but at least you still have hope.  If Republicans ever took power, they would do everything they could to ensure that you never work again, or that if you do you'd be doing menial labour for $2 an hour, 14 hours a day, with no overtime.  The Democrats have many, many faults, but the current crop of Republicans are crossing the line from the venality and corruption that we in the West have come to expect of our politicians, into the territory that is commonly thought of as 'evil'.

Show some sense.

Nice post.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2014, 08:54:27 PM
Here's what I don't get.  Yeah, O'Malley really fucked you, but at least you still have hope.

Lulz, hope.  There is no hope here. 

QuoteIf Republicans ever took power, they would do everything they could to ensure that you never work again, or that if you do you'd be doing menial labour for $2 an hour, 14 hours a day, with no overtime.  The Democrats have many, many faults, but the current crop of Republicans are crossing the line from the venality and corruption that we in the West have come to expect of our politicians, into the territory that is commonly thought of as 'evil'.

Show some sense.

Which is why I voted Brown, and held my nose as I did it.   But he was a main player in the drama that brings me here to this point of time, and in space.  And I am still very, very angry.

Personally, seems like a nice guy.  Black Catholic, MIT grad, flew Black Hawks in Iraq and got the Bronze Star when he was called up when he was a state delegate.  Married a widow whose first husband was a state trooper that died in an on-duty car accident.

The GOP candidate is an FSU grad, made his money in commercial real estate brokerage, founded an anti-tax organization that publishes its own studies pooh-poohing government spending nuisances like schools and roads.  Ick.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 09:19:25 PM
Abortion Barbie loses in TX.

Next you will announce it rained in England.

Our long state nightmare of brainless Perry is almost over.  Welcome Governor Abbott, glad to have you.

Of course we also just elected a completely unqualified, inexperienced, populist douchebag of the highest order as Lt. Governor.  A new State nightmare begins.  Could we stop electing barely functioning drooling morons to high office?  I mean geez I just ask for a colorless functionary as a baseline here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

My mother is out voting right now. She took my filled-out sample ballot. Mrs. MIM did the same when we early voted last week.

Women are great.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 04, 2014, 09:31:21 PM
My mother is out voting right now. She took my filled-out sample ballot. Mrs. MIM did the same when we early voted last week.

She wanted to know who not to vote for.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Not sure what was up with this, but in Georgia there was a constitutional amendment on the ballot that would prohibit the general assembly from raising income taxes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2014, 09:35:52 PM
Not sure what was up with this, but in Georgia there was a constitutional amendment on the ballot that would prohibit the general assembly from raising income taxes.
Sounds selfexplanatory.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Valmy

Sounds like one of those things California passes that later causes them to go bankrupt.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2014, 09:29:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 09:19:25 PM
Abortion Barbie loses in TX.

Of course we also just elected a completely unqualified, inexperienced, populist douchebag of the highest order as Lt. Governor.  A new State nightmare begins.  Could we stop electing barely functioning drooling morons to high office? I mean geez I just ask for a colorless functionary as a baseline here.

God bless Texas. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 04, 2014, 09:31:21 PM

Just like 2012, my mother was just waiting for somebody, anybody to dare to ask her for her photo ID at the polls.  Even though our state doesn't do that.  :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2014, 09:37:15 PM
Sounds selfexplanatory.

Making it unconstitutional for the legislature to raise income taxes seems insane, don't you think?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

My sister is coming over to get my sample ballot once mom gets back.  :lol:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2014, 09:29:41 PM
Of course we also just elected a completely unqualified, inexperienced, populist douchebag of the highest order as Lt. Governor.  A new State nightmare begins.  Could we stop electing barely functioning drooling morons to high office?  I mean geez I just ask for a colorless functionary as a baseline here.

I'm sure everyone just thought he was Dan Patrick the sportscaster, not some retard with the same name.  They were probably putting their height and weight on the ballots.

dps

We have an amendment on the ballot here in NC to allow the defendant in a criminal case to waive their right to trial by jury if they wish.