News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Maybe he is lifting fossilized Pteranodon eggs and entire cow carcasses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I just walked over to a gym not too far from where I live.  Saw the hours of operation on the door: 10:00-5:00.

The name of the establishment: Anytime Fitness.

:lol:

Eddie Teach

My gym is always open.  :showoff:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Couple of days ago walking outta backdoor to get something for the dog, when my shoe clipped the edge of the door, I suppose I was going quite fast, so I nearly over fell over, but kept my balance, then over compensated, half fell back into the house, but ended up staying upright.
Imagine a newborn giraffe for an idea of the gymnastics involved.  :cool:

But I did manage to crash the outside of my ankle into the one of galvanised steel receptors in the door frame for the door deadlocks, so too the skin off it and is now swelling to a fair old size, I'm guessing this is going to be a bit disabling for a few days. 

Just wondering weather I should take it easy for a few days and give it a rest or just say screw it and exercise through the pain, I cant really damage it can I ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

I'm definitely not qualified to give an answer, but I'd probably just give it an easy test and see what happens. I assume it will smart when you first start, but if the pain doesn't go away after a few minutes of exercise, or especially if it ever starts to get worse, I'd call it off. And of course don't do anything that is excrutiating.

If you broke some sort of bone or tore something, you don't want to push through the pain as that will make things much worse.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on June 07, 2014, 09:22:44 PM
I'm definitely not qualified to give an answer, but I'd probably just give it an easy test and see what happens. I assume it will smart when you first start, but if the pain doesn't go away after a few minutes of exercise, or especially if it ever starts to get worse, I'd call it off. And of course don't do anything that is excrutiating.

If you broke some sort of bone or tore something, you don't want to push through the pain as that will make things much worse.

Thanks, I think I give it some exercise, maybe not too much; at my age I you fear if you let up. things will seize up all by themselves anyway.  :D

Maladict

Slacking off badly because of the World Cup.  :(

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on June 20, 2014, 04:23:39 AM
Slacking off badly because of the World Cup.  :(

I know what you mean, I've slackened off because I'm using public transport at the moment rather than cycling.

Turns out my fitness level is very specific and narrow, like I've nearly forgotten how to walk because of using bikes all the time. Was planning on doing a 12-18 mile walk at the weekend, doing 5-6 miles elsewhere the day before hand, found my rather tired the next day and not up for it.    :rolleyes:

Clearly I need to practice walking, simply isn't any reason why someone of my age should be able to to a reasonable days walk.  After all I'm not talking of doing 25-30miles with a heavy pack.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2014, 08:43:23 AM

Turns out my fitness level is very specific and narrow, like I've nearly forgotten how to walk because of using bikes all the time.

That sounds familiar. I played a round of squash yesterday, first time in ages. I was fine fitness-wise, but my shoulders and ankles seem to be on strike today.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on June 23, 2014, 08:48:55 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2014, 08:43:23 AM

Turns out my fitness level is very specific and narrow, like I've nearly forgotten how to walk because of using bikes all the time.

That sounds familiar. I played a round of squash yesterday, first time in ages. I was fine fitness-wise, but my shoulders and ankles seem to be on strike today.

Yes, I think it wise to try a more rounded approach to fitness, though I think a squash match would kill me right now.  :D

Brazen

I've put back on all but 7lbs I lost. Got a school reunion (35 years since we joined!) in four weeks and I can't be the fattest - last time I was unemployed and they were all brain surgeons and rocket scientists. Started tracking food and exercise again - got that down pat, but now I actually have to burn more than I eat and drink! The latter's a problem in this glorious weather, when nothing refreshes like an ice-cold lager.

I did the same 5K race I do every year last week and was shocked that it took me 44 mins - I could have walked faster! But then I checked my GPS - I'd actually run 3.9 miles rather than 3.1, mostly dodging walkers. Not bad for me, especially seeing as the second half was all uphill.

Got a 15km night hike this Friday, which should be easy but not quick - I'm taking it nice and steady with a friend who has a severe back problem. Then the Olympic Park 5 mile race in less than four weeks, which I really need to up my mileage for.

Toughest race of the season in September - 10km hilly cross-country. Really don't want to make too much of an eedjit of myself.

By way of a refreshing change, I've won two weeks' access to a trendy new gym machine-based circuit workout called Speedflex in a competition. Apparently everyone's heart-rates are projected on the wall so you can compete - probably not the best idea for us middle-aged farts!

crazy canuck

Had a bad spell.  Had a muscle pulled playing basketball and used that as a very convenient excuse to do even less.  Now I need to get back on that horse.

Valmy

I was so excited that last Friday the TV in front of my machine was showing something OTHER than Charmed.  And then today back to Charmed.  Alyssa Milano will haunt me my entire life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

I can now sort of run. :gasp:

By which I mean I'm comfortable sprinting 200-500 yards to catch a bus.   :bowler:

Eddie Teach

I can now do a mile on the elliptical machine in under 9 minutes. Actual jogging where my weight collides with the ground every step, that's a different story.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?