News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

:cool:

Now that's a nice trip, I bet it blew a few cobwebs away.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

See, I am a duffer, Mal is a rider.

Today I did my 6th day, and the legs were the best since day 1.  Rode out, aided by a light wind on a broad reach, and felt good.  Hit the hill and of course my legs were protesting, but I was buoyed when I got passed by a lycra fellow who was good by not great - still, he wanted to pass me so he was standing on the pedals and blowing out his legs.  A rabbit is always good to follow.  I got to the top and with a nod to the lycra fellow I turned around without a rest and went down, then turned around and rode back up...

I passed him coming down as I was streaming sweat from climb number two, and he must have been a bit miffed at this overweight guy in a T-shirt doing the climb twice - he was riding back up when I went down the second time (this time NOT standing on the pedals and struggling a bit more).

The ride in was nice, but my back is sore after 6 days.  One more day and I have my week straight.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 31, 2014, 05:03:09 PM

Today I did my 6th day, and the legs were the best since day 1.  Rode out, aided by a light wind on a broad reach, and felt good.  Hit the hill and of course my legs were protesting, but I was buoyed when I got passed by a lycra fellow who was good by not great - still, he wanted to pass me so he was standing on the pedals and blowing out his legs.  A rabbit is always good to follow.  I got to the top and with a nod to the lycra fellow I turned around without a rest and went down, then turned around and rode back up...

I passed him coming down as I was streaming sweat from climb number two, and he must have been a bit miffed at this overweight guy in a T-shirt doing the climb twice - he was riding back up when I went down the second time (this time NOT standing on the pedals and struggling a bit more).

The ride in was nice, but my back is sore after 6 days.  One more day and I have my week straight.

kudos for your efforts up in the clouds today.   :cool:

No pain, no gain?  :P

Myself, I spent 10 hours sorting out the garden, repairing stuff and generally dealing with the aftermath of the wet weather here; managed to get out on the bike for just 4-5 miles at gone 9pm.   <_<

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on May 31, 2014, 04:47:44 PM
:cool:

Now that's a nice trip, I bet it blew a few cobwebs away.

There actually was one hanging from my handle bar at one point.  :lol:

Maladict

Quote from: PDH on May 31, 2014, 05:03:09 PM

Nice one. You're not a duffer if you ride those mountains.
And I don't think I've ever done more than two days in a row.  :(

PDH

Day 7, last of the marathon.

I woke up with my back complaining (not good) and my legs joining in (what else is new, the legs seem to start out complaining even on a good day).  Still, I needed to finish this, so after some coffee and other pre-ride hydration I set out on the normal route.  My back loosened up after a few minutes, and I made sure to stretch during the ride as well.  The legs?  After the first little hill on the edge of town they stopped complaining and were in great shape.

The first ten miles was with a tailwind, smooth riding and fairly fast.  I took the hill up at a higher than normal gear and more effort because I wasn't going to do it twice - instead I turned, rode down into the wind, then out onto the flats.  The way back to town is 10 miles, but halfway there I turned around and rode back to the base of the hill, this time it was tougher because the wind had shifted 180 degrees and was now a headwind.  Still, I made it to the turnaround and rode back to Laramie with a full 15-20 mph tailwind for the full way and close to 40 miles today.

All in all a good week - though I am not in great shape.  220 miles in 7 days, a good benchmark for the start of the season.  In three months I think I could easily do 40-45 per day, but for now this was fun.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Kudos again.   :cool:

Last summer right after the end of the Tour de France I tried something similar, I aimed to get out ever day/evening in an effort to replicate in a small way the effort involved with the different stages. 

So one day do a 'flat stage', another a 'time trial', the problem was the 'mountain stages' as we don't have any of those.  :( 
I managed most of it, allowing myself only the two/three official rest days, but I did have to take a few evening off because of family stuff, but it was quite a good way of challenging oneself, like you've just done.

This year I need a new Tour de France challenge of some sort.  :hmm:
Previous to last, I tried to see how quickly I could do the whole tour milage after it finished in July, ended up taking me till Xmas.   :D

alfred russel

This time last year was when I pulled my groin and was sidelined for a month or so. I was up to regular 5 mile runs at 8 minutes a mile, with long runs of 9 miles at about 9 minutes a mile.

A year on my groin is still a bit tender and I could compile a long list of aches and pains I've had. But my regular runs are up to 6 miles at 8 minutes a mile, and yesterday I just did a long run of 10.6 miles at just under 8:30 a mile. I'm getting better, if a lot more slowly than I would like.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Good going AR, you're a better man than me.  :cool:

Myself I'm a little bit 'lame' today, yesterday I took the new bike out and ended up going a lot further than intended for a quick spin, plus I had to break in some new shoes, which is always a minor difficulty, getting use them.
So this morning I aching in a few places.

At least I kept a good pace.   :)

Eddie Teach

I've gotten to under 11 minutes for a mile on the elliptical machine(12-13 minutes for second mile). Of course, it's telling me the whole time that my heart rate is too high.  :Embarrass:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

After four years, thanks to kids and school, I am finally back at the gym hopefully to continue as I had before.

Funny thing, at UT my machine was/is right in front of the TV that always has the basic cable channel TNT.   When I worked out before at 4 PM they always had this godawful show 'Charmed' on.  I mean there is no volume so I could never hear the dialog but somehow even silent this show was so idiotic my intelligence was insulted by it.

Now, four years later and at 6:30 AM and I believe the show has ended, freaking Charmed is still on TNT right when I workout.  Still just as infuriatingly stupid as ever.  It was like I never left...well except for the now being really overweight part.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 02, 2014, 01:54:30 PM
I've gotten to under 11 minutes for a mile on the elliptical machine(12-13 minutes for second mile). Of course, it's telling me the whole time that my heart rate is too high.  :Embarrass:

I remember the first time I ran 5 miles...it took me 62 minutes. Yes I was going very slow, but I thought that was such a long distance and sort of a superhuman feat. Now almost every run is longer than 5 miles and a lot of them involve crossing that 5 mile threshold ~40 minutes. If you stick with it you will get better quickly.

Also, your heart rate going high isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most endurance athletes train well above standard targets (that includes serious amateurs). However, if you are starting out, then that probably just means you are going to quit your exercises too soon. You will get more benefit by easier cardio work over longer periods.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Just started my intermediate lifting program (Wendler's 5/3/1) today. Pleasantly hard but didn't take all that long because I only rested a minute between sets. Next 2 weeks will be tougher though, so I'll enjoy this while it lasts.

Next up: Steak and eggs.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on June 02, 2014, 03:22:09 PM
Just started my intermediate lifting program (Wendler's 5/3/1) today. Pleasantly hard but didn't take all that long because I only rested a minute between sets. Next 2 weeks will be tougher though, so I'll enjoy this while it lasts.

Surely those are quite light things ? :unsure:

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on June 02, 2014, 03:33:13 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 02, 2014, 03:22:09 PM

Surely those are quite light things ? :unsure:

Steak and eggs are, sure.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.