News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on April 28, 2014, 08:41:54 AM

The cut-off time for running seems to be easier than for cycling. Can't really tell for swimming, but it would make sense if it gets progressively more lenient.
That means the swimming is the really hard bit and you'd be lucky to make it in 2:20, then somehow gain an hour in cycling even though you're exhausted and then manage to walk for another 7.5 hrs straight.

Of course, I'd drown before actually having to face any of those problems.

That is my problem-I would drown too.

If I ever get to the point of running a marathon or two in a decent time, I'm going to need a new goal. I'm thinking triathlons, but am going to need to find a place to swim.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

For the last week and a half I've been doing a bit of a dumbell workout every other day in the morning. Amazingly, I'm not as easily out of breath while walking quickly or climbing stairs as I was two weeks ago. I was really out of shape and not getting any better. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Holy thread necromancy.   :P

Good work Syt, case of use it or lose it?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 07:39:23 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2014, 06:57:53 AM

What? :huh:

Yi is around today, so you don't have to deputise.  :)

Syt

Good work Syt, case of use it or lose it?

What, the dumbells?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2014, 07:56:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 07:39:23 AM

What? :huh:

Yi is around today, so you don't have to deputise.  :)

That doesn't really answer my question though. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Last couple of days, a bit of pootling along on the bike, but nothing of any significance;barely a maintenance level of activity.  :(

Brazen

I've persuaded a girl from work to do the Westminster Mile with me (basically the final 1/26th of the London Marathon) with the lure of G&Ts afterwards. She says she's slow. This remains to be seen. She may just think she's slow for 25 and slim  <_<

mongers

Found this thread on page 4.   :hmm:

Popped out on the new bike to Salisbury via the downs. Came back a more cross country route, about a quater of the distance was off-road with some nice/nasty little hills included.

Just over 37 miles this evening, need to start upping the mileage.   :bowler:

PDH

First time the weather has been good in a couple of weeks - last weekend we got 10 inches of snow, hard to bike in that.  Today, though, the wind was light and the temperature was a balmy 45 degrees.  Perfect for a thirty mile ride in a bit less than 2 hours.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 17, 2014, 06:22:40 PM
First time the weather has been good in a couple of weeks - last weekend we got 10 inches of snow, hard to bike in that.  Today, though, the wind was light and the temperature was a balmy 45 degrees. Perfect for a thirty mile ride in a bit less than 2 hours.

:cool:

Heh, it was still in the high 70s here when I set out at 5pm.    :bowler:

PDH

Three straight days of 30 mile jaunts, all averaging above 15mph.  Yesterday the legs were a big rubbery, but today was good.  I want to do 7 straight days since I have the week off.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 28, 2014, 08:49:01 PM
Three straight days of 30 mile jaunts, all averaging above 15mph.  Yesterday the legs were a big rubbery, but today was good.  I want to do 7 straight days since I have the week off.

:cool:

Yeah in comparision I really need to pull my finger out.   :(

alfred russel

My running plans have been something of a boondoggle. I've settled into 3-4 6 mile runs at ~8 min a mile each week, supplemented with a couple of stints on an exercise bike of ~50 minutes. I keep planning longer runs on weekends, but they keep not happening (rain, other commitments, and the beginning of a hot Georgia summer aren't helping).

So basically this isn't good for getting up to a marathon.

However, I did a health screen today, and my blood pressure was normal, and my resting heart rate was 45. My blood pressure was elevated and my resting heart rate in the 80s before I started running. So even as I am missing my goals, I'm getting some benefits.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014