News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tommy Wiseau's Accent

Started by Queequeg, December 18, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on December 26, 2013, 02:22:14 PM
I had never heard of this guy until this thread.

After a quick google...isn't the simplest explanation for this guy's background that he had loaded parents, and a trust fund or some similar means financed the movie? That would also explain why he wants to keep the mystery about his past.

Not if he was from Eastern Europe (his friend seems to think he was); there weren't a lot of trust funds behind the Iron Curtain.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I'm guessing he made his money running drugs.

Queequeg

There's no way the man described in this book is capable of running and hiding a large scale criminal enterprise.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on December 26, 2013, 07:08:01 PM
There's no way the man described in this book is capable of running and hiding a large scale criminal enterprise.

You'd be surprised how stupid people can be while running large scale criminal enterprises.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

It's impossible.  He would have had to have gained enough money to own prime real estate in San Francisco in the 1990s, pay 6 million for a movie in 2002-03 and half-maintain his own eccentric film studio until now, all without either being out competed and murdered or found out by the government.  It's literally impossible for the man described to have been able to effectively hide and prosper at this, beyond the obvious fact that the rumors of drug-money and mob money money laundering that have circled The Room since its release mean that it would have been under scrutiny. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I think it's possible that some uncle or relative made a great deal of money in the privatizations after the collapse of the Berlin wall, but Tommy appears to have been doing pretty well financially in the 80s, which really complicates the picture.  There's no story that really works.  The Disaster Artist is partially about just how implausible every detail about the man is. 

Razgovory

Bugsy Siegel never got through grade school and was mentally unstable and still rose high in the mob.  That sort of thing is not atypical in criminal circles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

Tommy's not a psychopath.  He's completely desperate for attention and human connection.  That doesn't bode well for success inside a criminal conspiracy. 

Queequeg

Also, American criminals that succeed in immigrant or minority communities tend to use the strength of these social connections as the backbone of their criminal enterprise.  Tommy is a wild ass of a man, with his hand raised against everyone.  He refuses to acknowledge that he speaks anything other than (poor) English and (worse) French, and once starts a fight against Greg when he suggested as such.  I don't know many people who would do well in the Mafia or vor v zakone while hating everything to do with his culture. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on December 26, 2013, 08:44:29 PM
Tommy's not a psychopath.  He's completely desperate for attention and human connection.  That doesn't bode well for success inside a criminal conspiracy.

If he's so mysterious, how do you know he's not a psychopath?  Besides the factors you mention are hardly deal breakers.

Eddie Teach

He's completely desperate for attention and human connection.

You're certainly giving it to him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

I'm find him extremely interesting, although obviously my defense of why I find him interesting is making me look more obsessed than I really am.  He's from "my" area of the world, so I'm frustrated that no one I know has any idea where he's from.  But I don't know if I have "affection" for him in the way I do for some other artists.  David Lynch may not be an extremely nice man but I love him, while Bryan Fuller of Hannibal and Pushing Daisies is both extremely talented and by all accounts funny, personable and loyal.  Tommy has real emotional and possibly neurological problems, and is frequently a rude, hostile ass.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2013, 08:51:36 PM

If he's so mysterious, how do you know he's not a psychopath?  Besides the factors you mention are hardly deal breakers.
:lol:
Okay.  I want you to imagine trying to explain to a Russian mobster why American Hollywood culture is a thousand % better than anything Russia will ever do, and actively refusing to speak the mother language.  It seems extremely unlikely to me. 

Caliga

On a vaguely related note, the long-lost star of Silent Night, Deadly Night 2, Eric Freeman, surfaced last week at a screening of the movie in LA.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive