Main Menu

Tommy Wiseau's Accent

Started by Queequeg, December 18, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 19, 2013, 10:25:09 AM
That acting was appalling.

It looked like something me and my friends might do with a hand-held camera
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

"I DIDN'T HIT HER, I DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......... Oh hi, Mark!"  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 10:45:34 AM

I thought the production values were actually quite good.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2013, 10:57:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 10:45:34 AM

I thought the production values were actually quite good.

The movie actually costed 6 million dollars to shot. Even if the guy behind it was an amateur he had plenty of money (of unknown origins) to back it up. It's not that the movie is bad, the whole story behind it and Wiseau is downright bizarre.

QuoteThe Room originated as a play, completed by Tommy Wiseau in 2001. Wiseau then adapted the play into a 500-page book, which he was unable to get published. Frustrated, Wiseau decided to adapt the work into a film, which he would then produce himself in order to maintain total control over the project. Wiseau has been secretive about exactly how he obtained the funding for the project, but he did tell Entertainment Weekly that he made some of the money by importing leather jackets from Korea. He eventually amassed $6 million, all of which was spent on production and marketing. Wiseau has claimed that the reason the film was relatively expensive was because many members of the cast and crew had to be replaced, and each of the cast members had several understudies.

According to Greg Ellery, Wiseau came to the Birns and Sawyer film lot, rented a studio, and bought a "complete Beginning Director package," which included the purchase of a brand new film camera." Wiseau, confused about the differences between 35 mm film and high-definition video, decided to shoot the entire film in both formats with two cameras.

Josquius

Yeah, I just don't get that. He managed I make 6 million dollars then blew it on a overpriced crappy movie?
It's like he's an idiot savant.... Except he made a romance movie and not a crappy unworkable sci fi
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Tommy himself said he spent some years in Strasbourg.  Looks like that accent might be Slovak/Polish+Alsatian, hence the confusion.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I say Slovak or Polish because he seems quite sincerely Catholic, and I don't think he's a Croat or Slovene (he makes a lot of references to invading Soviet troops, the Bosnian who did the soundtrack would recognize it) or a Hungarian (that would have been recognized by a Hungarian on set). 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

You win the prize for the most esoteric obsession ever Squeelus.

Queequeg

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Not really.  He's (inexplicably) a multimillionaire of bizarre origin and seemingly abnormal intellect who made the great cult movie of the 2000s.  He's fascinating. 

Queequeg

He's completely, totally bizarre.  In person he looks like he's made of putty.  During the Q&A period before a midnight viewing of the film I went to, I asked him "Mr. Wiseau, you're clearly a man of the world, and we know you speak French, but what other languages can you speak?" I tried to trick him in to revealing his origin, but he just said "English, French and...some other language."  It was kind of annoying. 

The Brain

Did you ask the Ambassador at dinner?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

:lol:  "Mr. Wiseau, can I be your stalker?"

Queequeg

I find him fascinating.  If I could I'd be his therapist.  I really wish there was some way to know how he got his money.