News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tommy Wiseau's Accent

Started by Queequeg, December 18, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I guess it's the whole idea behind it. Produced, directed and starring some random talentless guy... With a decent budget.
Uwe bolls films meanwhile at least have the ingredients of real movies you might expect to be decent, albeit with boll being tax scams instead
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

No-name producers is the rule, not the exception.  Anyone can throw some money at Hollywood and get a producer credit.

Are vanity projects really that much of a rarity in the movie industry?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2013, 05:01:55 AM
Are vanity projects really that much of a rarity in the movie industry?

No, they most certainly are not a rarity.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

The special thing about the Room is the total lack of a coherent script, or any kind of hint of talent in the actors. It is so insanely and honestly bad that it manages to create memorable quotes and scenes through that.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 26, 2013, 03:56:02 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 24, 2013, 09:48:21 PM
I've seen many (many, many) awful films that aren't interesting, while "The Room" is engrossing.  What is it that separates Tommy Wiseau from, say Jean Rollins or Uwe Boll?
What's so special about it?

That's what I'm asking.  Why is "The Room" so fascinating and "Rape of the Vampire" so forgettable?

I'm guessing that, in part, Tommy Wisseau has an enthusiasm for film that Jean Rollins lacked.  Many of Jean-Luc Godard's films are awful; but fascinating; I think, in part, due to his passion about movies.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I propose that the reason for the fascination is the ease with which a viewer can analyze the movie's flaws.  It's an exercise in self-validation for those with a passing interest in film-making.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2013, 10:17:43 AM
I propose that the reason for the fascination is the ease with which a viewer can analyze the movie's flaws.  It's an exercise in self-validation for those with a passing interest in film-making.

Totally wrong.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

My counter proposal is that it's because QQ has met the dude in person.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 26, 2013, 10:40:53 AM

But it's far more than just Squeelus.

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 26, 2013, 10:40:53 AM

I was violently I'll due to misguided energy drink consumption at the time, and was unable to watch the movie for a year. Doubtful.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

You may have a point here.  I think that the idea of liking something bad for the irony factor, something popular with hipsters, comes in to play here as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

I had never heard of this guy until this thread.

After a quick google...isn't the simplest explanation for this guy's background that he had loaded parents, and a trust fund or some similar means financed the movie? That would also explain why he wants to keep the mystery about his past.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Well we can thank our lucky stars that he isn't a steppe nomad, otherwise Spellus would try to marry him or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2013, 04:40:05 PM
Well we can thank our lucky stars that he isn't a steppe nomad, otherwise Spellus would try to marry him or something.

:XD:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive