News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tommy Wiseau's Accent

Started by Queequeg, December 18, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Squeelus, do you remember what I told you way back when you asked about people that had attended the University of Chicago?

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on December 24, 2013, 04:50:15 PM
Not really.  He's (inexplicably) a multimillionaire of bizarre origin and seemingly abnormal intellect who made the great cult movie of the 2000s.  He's fascinating.

I've met lots of people with abnormal intellect and they aren't interesting.  His one film is "cult", but only because it's awful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Yeah, but it's uniquely, totally awful, to the extent that it's far more interesting than the vast majority of good and more than a few great movies.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2013, 06:57:03 PM
Not really.  He's (inexplicably) a multimillionaire of bizarre origin and seemingly abnormal intellect who made the great cult movie of the 2000s.  He's fascinating.

I've met lots of people with abnormal intellect and they aren't interesting.  His one film is "cult", but only because it's awful.

I've seen many (many, many) awful films that aren't interesting, while "The Room" is engrossing.  What is it that separates Tommy Wiseau from, say Jean Rollins or Uwe Boll?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Sorry Spellus, I'm with you on many of your flights of fancy, but I reserve my stalking for either Melody or Yi.

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on December 24, 2013, 03:33:47 PM
I say Slovak or Polish because he seems quite sincerely Catholic, and I don't think he's a Croat or Slovene (he makes a lot of references to invading Soviet troops, the Bosnian who did the soundtrack would recognize it) or a Hungarian (that would have been recognized by a Hungarian on set).

I've dealt with quite a few Poles and Slovaks in my time, and they didn't have an accent like Wiseau. Maybe semi-French/Polish, but it'd be a stretch.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

I think the idea is that it's somehow weirdly Alsatian.  What would your guess be, Syt?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Maybe he just talks that way for attention.

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2013, 04:47:59 PM
Maybe he just talks that way for attention.

He certainly has caught Spellus's.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on December 25, 2013, 12:16:34 PM
I think the idea is that it's somehow weirdly Alsatian.  What would your guess be, Syt?

No idea, nor do I care much, truth be told.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Man, the guy's just fucking bizarre, and I find it weird that no one has cracked this stuff.  Greg Sostero saw a driver's licence of him with the birth date as sometime in 1969, but there's a photo of him as a young adult in a clearly late 70s suit, and elements of his childhood story seem to indicate that he remembered the 60s pretty well.  It seems likely that he either had a fake driver's licence (if so, wtf why?) or somehow his birthday recorded in official American government records is completely wrong.  I've also been looking at some Linguistics boards to try and figure it out-no response.  I'm seriously considering emailing a few Linguistics professors. 

katmai

Since Garbo is sunning himself in Palm Springs... :mellow:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on December 24, 2013, 09:48:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2013, 06:57:03 PM

I've seen many (many, many) awful films that aren't interesting, while "The Room" is engrossing.  What is it that separates Tommy Wiseau from, say Jean Rollins or Uwe Boll?
What's so special about it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point