News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

If we make enough threads, Putin will never be able to annex all of them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Help! I'm a Russian speaker, and I'm being oppressed in this thread!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2014, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2014, 09:18:11 AM
The problem isn't Poland. The problem are the Baltic States. They:
-have significant Russian minorities
-are former Russian/Soviet Empire territory
-are NATO members

The Russians in the Baltics for the most part are not interesting in going back to Russia, which would involve joining a country with half the per capita GDP.  The situation in Ukraine is opposite.

I don't think that matters at all. This isnt some grassroots protesting in eastern Ukraine (at least not entirely) at the moment, and in any case Putin and GRU will do and invent what they want. The only public opinion that (sorta) matters is the Russians in Russia proper.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 11:39:17 AM

I know for a fact that you are a Uke sympathesizer, which makes you a Nazi, which makes you self-hating, which let's face it we suspected all along.  The fanatical pro-circumcision propaganda wasn't fooling anyone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on April 14, 2014, 11:39:48 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2014, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2014, 09:18:11 AM
The problem isn't Poland. The problem are the Baltic States. They:
-have significant Russian minorities
-are former Russian/Soviet Empire territory
-are NATO members

The Russians in the Baltics for the most part are not interesting in going back to Russia, which would involve joining a country with half the per capita GDP.  The situation in Ukraine is opposite.

I don't think that matters at all. This isnt some grassroots protesting in eastern Ukraine (at least not entirely) at the moment, and in any case Putin and GRU will do and invent what they want. The only public opinion that (sorta) matters is the Russians in Russia proper.

Which is exactly what I said in the other thread!  :mad:

Welcome back, Zoupa!

Zoupa

If I was a homofag I'd be in love with Sheilbh, so I chose his thread. Sorry.  :P

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 11:39:17 AM

I know for a fact that you are a Uke sympathesizer, which makes you a Nazi, which makes you self-hating, which let's face it we suspected all along.  The fanatical pro-circumcision propaganda wasn't fooling anyone.
He's a Tatari jihadist who is a liason for Banderovtsy.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2014, 10:08:02 AM
What is with you people and feet?

It's because they're poor. Owning shoes is a sign of status.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on April 14, 2014, 08:43:36 AM
We could hypothetically be looking at simultaneous attacks from . . ., Belarus and an already compromised Belarus.

Also from Pinsk and Byelorussia.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

If Zoups, the Asian-screwing Quebecer, chooses this thread, then so shall I!

http://en.itar-tass.com/world/727785

QuoteMOSCOW, April 14. /ITAR-TASS/. A special operation in the southeast of Ukraine ordered by the Kiev authorities can lead to a civil war in the country, Russia's Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) Andrei Kelin told Rossiya 24 television on Monday, April 14.
"It is known that they (authorities in Kiev) are planning to begin a counter-terrorism operation against peaceful demonstrators who have simple demands - greater autonomy (for regions) and the status of Russian (as a second official language)," he said.
According to Kelin, the Kiev authorities are forming troops made up of "patriots". "All this can lead to a civil war. And this is a matter of serious concern to us," Kelin said.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

I'm a frog living in Quebec, big diffference. It's a thread about screwy ethnicities after all  ;)

Norgy

Right now, I think the Ukraina would mess up even a chicken Kiev.

PJL

I am now convinced Russia will annex all of the south and east of Ukraine, and that nothing short of war will stop them. Someone posted this at the Paradox OT forum (a beacon of sanity in that madness thread):

https://www.rusi.org/downloads/assets/UKRANIANMILITARYDISPOSITIONS_RUSIBRIEFING.pdf

Some very interesting points, on deployments and Ukrainian factories that make a number of critical parts for the Russian military. Which means sanctions are likely to be counterproductive.

PDH

I would like to think that this thread has the most in common with the valiant Ukrainian resistance to Moscow.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM