News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Since we have two separate Ukrainian threads, I suggest we abandon them and gather up here.

Admiral Yi

Two threads was too many, so you make a third.  You gypsies.  :lol:

Crazy_Ivan80

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2014, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2014, 09:18:11 AM
The problem isn't Poland. The problem are the Baltic States. They:
-have significant Russian minorities
-are former Russian/Soviet Empire territory
-are NATO members

The Russians in the Baltics for the most part are not interesting in going back to Russia, which would involve joining a country with half the per capita GDP.  The situation in Ukraine is opposite.

Well yes, that is a hope. They will not feel like giving up their EU passports. The question is though: will anybody from Russia ask them before sending over the local self defense civilians?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2014, 09:59:31 AM
Two threads was too many, so you make a third.  You gypsies.  :lol:

This will overcome both. The thread title is just awesome, and most fitting, and will remain proper for the coming year or two.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2014, 10:00:43 AM
The thread title is just awesome, and most fitting, and will remain proper for the coming year or two.

:glare:  A little gauche to toot your own horn like that.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Tamas

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 10:02:05 AM
The thread title is just awesome, and most fitting, and will remain proper for the coming year or two.

And I haven't even mentioned my fabulous shoes.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2014, 10:03:08 AM

What is with you people and feet?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

-are NATO members

The Russians in the Baltics for the most part are not interesting in going back to Russia, which would involve joining a country with half the per capita GDP.  The situation in Ukraine is opposite.

As you, grumbler and DG have commented on, the economic numbers are facts on the ground; i guess for many in Eastern Ukrainians, the prospect of cheaper gas, some support for aging industrial jobs and better wages/pensions, means they'll accept a new reality created by Russian boots on the ground.

If you've been ground down, still further into poverty over the last 20 years, what do you have to loose by accepting Czar Putin's rule?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2014, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2014, 10:03:08 AM

What is with you people and feet?

That's racissss

OttoVonBismarck

I had heard though that Ukraine may have some amount of gas reserves, but they've never been properly exploited and exploration/drilling was only beginning now. I would imagine under more appropriate leadership they would have been drilling for years now. But yes, Russia is basically natural resources attached to a bunch of drunk nationalists and Ukraine doesn't have that going for it, but I'm assuming under proper stewardship Ukraine would have better exploited the national resources they have.

PJL

-are NATO members

That's only really true of Estonia in 2000 US$ terms (market value). With PPP and current values it's a lot closer. It's not inconceivable that the Russians in those states are generally poorer than those in Russia itself.