Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: PDH on March 02, 2014, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 02, 2014, 02:20:38 PM
You know what's the saddest thing about this whole mess? That Tom Clancy isn't here to see it. :(

Have you heard the conspiracy theory going around that Tom Clancy was killed by That Guy (aka The Imperial President, The Black Napoleon, The Light of the West, Big Brother's Keeper, The Terror of the WASP, Waspbane, The Necromancer, etc.)

*drinks the entire bottle*
i think he beat you to the bottle.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 02, 2014, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 02, 2014, 02:20:38 PM
You know what's the saddest thing about this whole mess? That Tom Clancy isn't here to see it. :(

Have you heard the conspiracy theory going around that Tom Clancy was killed by That Guy (aka The Imperial President, The Black Napoleon, The Light of the West, Big Brother's Keeper, The Terror of the WASP, Waspbane, The Necromancer, etc.)

*drinks the entire bottle*

Better not look in the china knife thread. Squellus is especially fruity there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 02, 2014, 02:41:31 PM

Better not look in the china knife thread. Squellus is especially fruity there.

Oh God.  MAH LIVER(AL)!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2014, 02:23:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2014, 01:43:24 PM
QuoteThe Invasion Of Crimea Is Russia's Worst Foreign Policy Blunder In A Generation

I agree.

Only if Russia loses.
An Israeli fails to understand the negative diplomatic and economic consequences of annexing a small scrap of land from a neighboring country.  Somehow unsurprising. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Only if Russia loses.

I don't think it's a win for Russia if they end up with de facto control of the Crimea, not recognized by anyone except Belarus, permanent armed confrontation with Ukraine and possibly Europe and the US, and pariah status internationally.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2014, 02:58:41 PM
Only if Russia loses.

I don't think it's a win for Russia if they end up with de facto control of the Crimea, not recognized by anyone except Belarus, permanent armed confrontation with Ukraine and possibly Europe and the US, and pariah status internationally.

Do you really think this stops at the Crimea? It seems like we are a possible pretext and short time away from discussing eastern ukraine instead.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 02, 2014, 03:06:07 PM
Do you really think this stops at the Crimea? It seems like we are a possible pretext and short time away from discussing eastern ukraine instead.

It could very well go beyond the Crimea.  Does that make it a win for Russia?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2014, 02:58:41 PMI don't think it's a win for Russia if they end up with de facto control of the Crimea, not recognized by anyone except Belarus, permanent armed confrontation with Ukraine and possibly Europe and the US, and pariah status internationally.

agreed. this isn't worth it to russia at all. they're set to lose ukraine permanently at this point

Siege

Well, you have to understand Putin's thought process.
Just like Hitler, he thinks we are all pussy liberals without the balls to confront him, and not willing to risk a war.

He thinks he can really get away with this, otherwise I doubt he would have started it.
Or was Putin under pressure to intervene? From whom?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Poland reportedly moving troops to the Ukraine border.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2014, 03:58:21 PM

Let's hope they don't face tanks. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Bluebook

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 02, 2014, 01:46:03 PM
so why is Putin moving troops in? Is it really just to slap the West in the face? To do something aggressive and outlandish even though he probably could and would have gotten Crimea by default anyway? If that's the case it makes it even more humiliating we refuse to call him on it, because it means the entire activity was basically done to test and prove Western weakness.

Personally I think this is an advanced smoke and mirrors-act to have the russian population forget what actually happened in Kiev and instead look at the fancy fireworks in Crimea. I think Putins greatest fear is to suddenly have his own population try a "russian spring"

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2014, 03:58:21 PM

nm, comparisons to czechoslovakia are apt  :D

Siege

What the fuck is Lacroix doing in this thread?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

LaCroix