News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on March 02, 2014, 04:59:44 PMThat's just the way Otto is.  he cannot imagine anyone disagreeing with him unless they are somehow mentally defective, and he expects you to burst into tears when he changes one of the syllables in your user name to "fag."  You have to either try to think like a fourth-grader and respond to his stuff in the same emotional vein in which he posts, or just laugh and point.  There's no sense even trying to pretend you can engage him intellectually.  Sounds like you are going for option 2.  Good.  That's where the smart money goes.

LaCroix you have a lot to learn from this man.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on March 02, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
Western left-wingers siding with Russia? What else is new? :P

Not so much with Russia, but rather AGAINST whatever the USA might choose to do. They are reticent to commit because as long as Russia is the only aggressor they can't be seen to oppose the poor defenseless protesters in the street. Never mind, just like in Iraq, Serbia and other places, they will react viscerally to the evil USAian imperialism once/if Kiev requests assistance.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

The cover of the Sun is a picture of shirtless Putin with the caption 'Come 'n have a go if EU think you're hard enough'.

lol
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

OttoVonBismarck

Some of the leftist boards I've trolled on in the past are hilarious with this situation because even though many of them are too young to have the weird communist love that lefties used to have for the USSR they almost by instinct start dredging up U.S. "cold war wrongs" and activities post-WWI by the West that in their minds fully justify everything Russia did from 1918-Today. But they're also big Obama fans so if he actually has an open clash with Putin it will be interesting to see what happens with them.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2014, 06:50:21 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 02, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
Western left-wingers siding with Russia? What else is new? :P
Not so much with Russia, but rather AGAINST whatever the USA might choose to do. They are reticent to commit because as long as Russia is the only aggressor they can't be seen to oppose the poor defenseless protesters in the street. Never mind, just like in Iraq, Serbia and other places, they will react viscerally to the evil USAian imperialism once/if Kiev requests assistance.
It's just funny because traditionally self-hating imbeciles have fallen into the orbit of Moscow and have pretty much sided with Russia in all matters.  The Cold War, World War 2, all sorts of fun.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on March 02, 2014, 06:53:09 PM
The cover of the Sun is a picture of shirtless Putin with the caption 'Come 'n have a go if EU think you're hard enough'.

lol
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Neil on March 02, 2014, 06:54:59 PMIt's just funny because traditionally self-hating imbeciles have fallen into the orbit of Moscow and have pretty much sided with Russia in all matters.  The Cold War, World War 2, all sorts of fun.

Yeah, there's a gaming/techie forum I frequent whose posters are all fairly leftist and mostly 10-20 years younger than me on average and mostly wouldn't have been exposed to much of the Cold War but seem to have just gravitated toward Russia in this thing.

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 02, 2014, 06:59:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 02, 2014, 06:54:59 PMIt's just funny because traditionally self-hating imbeciles have fallen into the orbit of Moscow and have pretty much sided with Russia in all matters.  The Cold War, World War 2, all sorts of fun.

Yeah, there's a gaming/techie forum I frequent whose posters are all fairly leftist and mostly 10-20 years younger than me on average and mostly wouldn't have been exposed to much of the Cold War but seem to have just gravitated toward Russia in this thing.
See Glenn Greenwald too.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald
Useful idiots, at best.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 02, 2014, 06:54:49 PM
Some of the leftist boards I've trolled on in the past are hilarious with this situation because even though many of them are too young to have the weird communist love that lefties used to have for the USSR they almost by instinct start dredging up U.S. "cold war wrongs" and activities post-WWI by the West that in their minds fully justify everything Russia did from 1918-Today. But they're also big Obama fans so if he actually has an open clash with Putin it will be interesting to see what happens with them.
Yes, that'll be an interesting couple of hours until the missiles land.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2014, 07:03:39 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 02, 2014, 06:59:54 PM

See Glenn Greenwald too.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald
Useful idiots, at best.

Is that Stephen Walt of Mearsheimer and Walt blaming the US for supporting Ukrainian democracy?
Stephen Walt ‏@StephenWalt  Mar 1
Amazing thing re #Ukraine: US & EU colluded to help oust corrupt but pro-Russ leader, yet expected Moscow to do nothing about it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2014, 07:05:00 PM
Is that Stephen Walt of Mearsheimer and Walt blaming the US for supporting Ukrainian democracy?
Stephen Walt ‏@StephenWalt  Mar 1
Amazing thing re #Ukraine: US & EU colluded to help oust corrupt but pro-Russ leader, yet expected Moscow to do nothing about it.
I think Mearsheimer was rather prescient:
http://mearsheimer.uchicago.edu/pdfs/A0020.pdf

I think Walt's tweets are fine in general.
https://twitter.com/StephenWalt
For example immediately before the one you quoted was this:
'Stephen Walt ‏@StephenWalt  Mar 1
Re #Ukraine I am beginning to think no one in White House ever thinks two moves ahead. #FallacyofLastMove'
I think together that's a very fair point.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.