News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

http://news.yahoo.com/us-warns-russia-ukraine-nudges-georgia-west-180724720--politics.html

QuoteThe United States on Wednesday warned Russia against a military intervention in Ukraine as it renewed demands that Moscow withdraw troops from disputed enclaves in another former Soviet republic, Georgia. The U.S. also urged Georgia to further integrate with Europe and NATO in calls that come amid growing tensions between Russia and the West over the ouster of Ukraine's pro-Moscow president.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote"some level of Russian influence" could mean anything.  Be specific.
Greater than it was at the height of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the nadir of Russian power after the Time of Troubles?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2014, 03:05:43 PM
Urban myth.  They were never worse than the Eastern European average and have improved substantially since then.

I guess the Putin Youth sex camps have had some effect.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 03:07:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/us-warns-russia-ukraine-nudges-georgia-west-180724720--politics.html

QuoteThe United States on Wednesday warned Russia against a military intervention in Ukraine as it renewed demands that Moscow withdraw troops from disputed enclaves in another former Soviet republic, Georgia. The U.S. also urged Georgia to further integrate with Europe and NATO in calls that come amid growing tensions between Russia and the West over the ouster of Ukraine's pro-Moscow president.

Obama starts a nuclear war!  Squeelus has an aneurism! :o

Queequeg

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 03:08:40 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2014, 03:05:43 PM
Urban myth.  They were never worse than the Eastern European average and have improved substantially since then.

I guess the Putin Youth sex camps have had some effect.
People don't have babies during times of economic collapse.  Look at how tiny the Silent Generation was.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 03:07:24 PM

:bleeding:

Any minute I expect to see David Miliband popping up in Tbilisi proclaiming 'we're all Georgians now' :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

How important is access to the Black Sea through the Crimea to the economy of the Ukraine?

Queequeg

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2014, 03:15:01 PM
Am I Russia's Will Graham here?
You're probably the biggest Russophile on the board.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 26, 2014, 03:16:28 PM
Is there any competition?
...  Probably not.  I think most of us have a fairly realistic view of Russia:  That it is a place inhabited by evil people that produces nothing that is any good.  Even the natural gas they produce is used to heat European homes, which reduces the ability of Euros to be all ball-of-lighty.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 03:14:24 PM
How important is access to the Black Sea through the Crimea to the economy of the Ukraine?

Dunno, but if they lost it they'd still have Odessa.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2014, 03:17:23 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 26, 2014, 03:16:28 PM
...Only? :o
You're not instinctively hostile to Russian culture, though your insistent belief that Europe is a "thing" that needs protecting rather than some squibbly lines on a map of Eurasia and the outgrowth of a coal-sharing agreement leads you to some conclusions I find problematic.  Minsky is too rational to maintain Boomer or Gen-X Russophobia.