And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2014, 06:37:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2014, 06:27:37 PM
You're overstating the case.  A large part of the agenda of the demonstrations was the desire to integrate into the West, with all the respect for rule of law, democracy, and fair markets that that entails.
I think that's overstating the case :lol:

Protesting for something doesn't necessarily mean you'll support all the necessary steps, all through a wrenching change. They may back integration into the EU. But will there be support for the rule of law, democracy (remember the free and fair election just a few years ago, the revolution doesn't) and all the rest? That's a different agenda and, I imagine, one with a smaller base.

Hopefully it'll work though and the West should help and try to convince Putin to back off.

What the people of Ukraine voted for was a democratic leader. What they got, was a guy who attempted to change the constitution to make himself a dictator. It is not accurate to claim the rebels were not respecting "free and fair elections" - because the incumbent disrespected them first, by making his office into something other than what they voted for.

This is a perennial problem with emerging democracies, the notion of 'winner take all' - that you vote someone into power and he takes it as a mandate to make himself a tyrant.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2014, 06:42:18 PM
[ A large part of the agenda of the demonstrations was the desire to integrate into the West, with all the respect for rule of law, democracy, and fair markets that that entails.

For some of them, but not the rightists who seem to have been a significant contributor to the demonstrations.

From what I've heard from people on the spot in Kiev, the actual contribution of the extreme right was not that significant and did not set the "tone".

The situation could certainly go wrong, and if it did, it would hardly be the only example of a popular uprising hijacked by unpleasant extremists. But my understanding, from those who ought to know, was that this was a genuinely popular pro-Western uprising - with young people from all backgrounds eagerly joining.

For example, no-one has more legitimately to fear from right-wing Ukrainian nationalists than the surviving Ukrainian Jews. But despite the warnings from rabbis and other elders to stay out of it, young Jews flocked to join the demonstrations - admittedly holding their noses when near the ultra-right party demostraters.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/in-ukraine-protests-young-jews-are-marching-with-ultranationalists/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on February 24, 2014, 06:40:14 PM
The perceived threat is different this time - a trip backwards to Russian domination, hence symbolically linked to the sufferings of ethnic Ukranians under (Russian) communism - and so, Lenin. The Orange Revolution was more "about" perceived election fraud, and it was bloodless.
But wasn't 2004 a trip from Russian domination? The Orange Revolution was as much a rejection of Kuchma (and Yanukovych because he was Kuchma's candidate) and the Russian interests they backed as it was about election fraud. I think the context also suggests an attempt to escape Russia's sphere - Georgia, Ukraine, Kyrgyzstan and, though a lot earlier, Serbia.

QuoteWhat the people of Ukraine voted for was a democratic leader. What they got, was a guy who attempted to change the constitution to make himself a dictator. It is not accurate to claim the rebels were not respecting "free and fair elections" - because the incumbent disrespected them first, by making his office into something other than what they voted for.
I'm not sure that's fair. The constitutional changes were by the Supreme Court over-ruling revolutionary changes to the constitution in 2004. From what I've read there's no suggestion that was really Yanukovych's doing, though he was the beneficiary, and the situation would've been the same with Tymoshenko.

What they got though was the President's son's companies winning 50% of state contracts last year (apparently) and an economic crisis that slightly forced Yanuovych's hand and that Putin took advantage of.

The revolution's still a good thing and the West should really try and push the advantage. But I do actually think that if you strip out those opinions the Russians kind of have a point, not that that should matter.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on February 24, 2014, 06:52:52 PMThe situation could certainly go wrong, and if it did, it would hardly be the only example of a popular uprising hijacked by unpleasant extremists. But my understanding, from those who ought to know, was that this was a genuinely popular pro-Western uprising - with young people from all backgrounds eagerly joining.
Yeah. I was thinking how easily transferable many of the tropes of Middle Eastern revolutions are. Salafists = neo-Nazis, titushki = baltagiya, Putin = Putin :lol:

QuoteFor example, no-one has more legitimately to fear from right-wing Ukrainian nationalists than the surviving Ukrainian Jews. But despite the warnings from rabbis and other elders to stay out of it, young Jews flocked to join the demonstrations - admittedly holding their noses when near the ultra-right party demostraters.
This was happening as the whole Dieudonne/quenelle issue was kicking off and it did make me think whether sadly, unbelievably, Jewish life is now safer in Ukraine than France? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2014, 06:42:18 PM
[ A large part of the agenda of the demonstrations was the desire to integrate into the West, with all the respect for rule of law, democracy, and fair markets that that entails.

For some of them, but not the rightists who seem to have been a significant contributor to the demonstrations.

Rightists or far right?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on February 24, 2014, 06:45:17 PM

What the people of Ukraine voted for was a democratic leader. What they got, was a guy who attempted to change the constitution to make himself a dictator. It is not accurate to claim the rebels were not respecting "free and fair elections" - because the incumbent disrespected them first, by making his office into something other than what they voted for.

This is a perennial problem with emerging democracies, the notion of 'winner take all' - that you vote someone into power and he takes it as a mandate to make himself a tyrant.

Only it isn't completely clear that is what he was doing. The elections in 2015 weren't canceled. From what I've read, the protests, at least until recently, did not have universal support--public opinion was more like 50-50 split along similar lines as the election. The protestors by and large were the people that voted against him in the first place--not his voters that felt betrayed.

I'm not arguing that he was Mr. Nice Guy and Democracy--obviously not.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

QuoteAccording to December 2013 polls (by three different pollsters) between 45% and 50% of Ukrainians supported Euromaidan, while between 42% and 50% opposed it. The biggest support for the protest can be found in Kiev (about 75%) and western Ukraine (more than 80%). Among Euromaidan protesters, 55% are from the west of the country, with 24% from central Ukraine and 21% from the east.

In a poll taken on 7–8 December, 73% of protesters had committed to continue protesting in Kiev as long as needed until their demands are fulfilled. This number has increased to 82% as of 3 February 2014. Polls also show that the nation is divided in age: while majority of young people are pro-EU, older generations (50 and above) more often prefer the Customs Union of Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia. More than 41% of protesters are ready to take part in the seizure of administrative buildings as of February, compared to 13 and 19 percent during polls on 10 and 20 December 2013. At the same time, more than 50 percent are ready to take part in the creation of independent military units, compared to 15 and 21 percent during the past studies, respectively.

According to a January poll, 45% of Ukrainians supported the protests, and 48% of Ukrainians disapproved of Euromaidan.

From wikipedia on public opinion and Euro Maiden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euromaiden#Public_opinion_about_Euromaidan
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 24, 2014, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 24, 2014, 08:56:10 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 24, 2014, 08:53:31 AM
I was just reading about Robert(o) Michels...  :hmm:

He also founded the Michaels Arts and crafts chain.

:lol: America's anarcho-syndicalist plastic flowers and macrame depot.

HEY NOW  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 24, 2014, 08:52:02 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 24, 2014, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 24, 2014, 08:56:10 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 24, 2014, 08:53:31 AM
I was just reading about Robert(o) Michels...  :hmm:

He also founded the Michaels Arts and crafts chain.

:lol: America's anarcho-syndicalist plastic flowers and macrame depot.

HEY NOW  :mad:

Don't dream it's over :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Seems like anything could happen at this point, given the wacky twists & turns so far.  But the way I'm reading things, the center of the crisis seems to have shifted towards the Crimea (do we still say *the*, or is it just Crimea?).  Anyway, the ethnic Russian majority in the Crimea seems to be fearing and preparing for an "invasion" by Ukrainians and Russia is making loud noises about getting directly involved should that come to pass. 

The Crimea is already an "autonomous Republic" and it seems like they could linger as a de facto if not de jure independent country.  I'd advise Ukraine to simply spin it off and let it be independent or join up with Russia if it so desires.  Fewer Russians/Russophiles inside your borders should make things more stable in the long run and should more than offset whatever Ukraine loses.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Crimea is properly a client state of Pontus. All Hail Mithridates VI!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 24, 2014, 09:39:03 PM

Time for Sulla and Lucullus to visit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 24, 2014, 09:39:03 PM
Wrong, lands belong to the Empire of Trebizond. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

The Crimea belongs to Italy as the legitimate successor of Genoa! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point