News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2014, 03:31:38 PM
You're not instinctively hostile to Russian culture, though your insistent belief that Europe is a "thing" that needs protecting rather than some squibbly lines on a map of Eurasia and the outgrowth of a coal-sharing agreement leads you to some conclusions I find problematic.  Minsky is too rational to maintain Boomer or Gen-X Russophobia.

Europe is the outgrowth of a coal-sharing agreement?

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

He's talking about the EU, isn't he?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 03:50:39 PM

Europe is the outgrowth of a coal-sharing agreement?
Treaty of Rome.

Europe existed long before the Treaty of Rome :secret:
"Squiggly lines on a map of Eurasia."  It wasn't a coherent concept until the customs unions of the 20th Century gave it some flesh.  In the Napoleonic period it basically stopped at Ducal Prussia and Silesia, and was really just "Europe that isn't Slavic, except maybe Bohemia, which is dominated by a Germanized Urban population."
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:01:43 PM
He's talking about the EU, isn't he?

Yes, one assumes that by the reference to the Treaty.  But then he goes on about squiggly lines and his underlying assumption that all Eurasians are somehow the same but for those lines and coal.  Odd.

Queequeg

I'm not saying all Eurasians are the same.  I'm saying that Europe didn't really mean anything until the Post-War period.  Autocratic Prussia didn't automatically have more in common with Democratic France than with Autocratic Russia just because Charlemagne once took a shit in both countries.   

Admiral Yi

You sure Charlemagne took a shit in Prussia?  I don't think his empire went that far east.

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 04:54:39 PM
You sure Charlemagne took a shit in Prussia?  I don't think his empire went that far east.
I was thinking Napoleonic boundaries.  Charlamagne might have visited some of the traditional Hohenzollern territories in Swabia or the Rheinland, though you're right, almost the entirety of Prussia's Brandenburger (?), Pommeranian and Prussian heartland would have been either pagan Slavic or Balt. 

Queequeg

My dismissal of Europe as a concept should not be read as a dislike of western Europe, or it's accomplishments or future, or a dislike of the EU as a project.  I just think Europe is grows and contracts given the currently trending ethnic prejudices, and that there's no clear historical boundary between East and West. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2014, 05:05:50 PM
My dismissal of Europe as a concept should not be read as a dislike of western Europe, or it's accomplishments or future, or a dislike of the EU as a project.  I just think Europe is grows and contracts given the currently trending ethnic prejudices, and that there's no clear historical boundary between East and West.

Sure there is.  Everything East of the Rockies is East.  I will let the rest of you sort out your own divisions.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 05:08:53 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2014, 05:05:50 PM

Sure there is.  Everything East of the Rockies is East.  I will let the rest of you sort out your own divisions.

:rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2014, 05:14:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want but there is no way we share the same region - just ask the ethnic Albertan the next time you see him.

Sheilbh

I don't see how this matters though. If I was saying we could finally push Russia out of the Western Empire then maybe it would :mellow:

There are two arguments, the idealist one is that Europe exists now. As long as it's existed Russia's been hostile at worst and meddlesome at best. Increasing the cost for Europe and allies like the US. The consequences for Russia's friends - Belarus, Serbia, Ukraine, Moldavia haven't been great either.

It is better for the West to help push Russia out of Ukraine. It weakens their hand in countries that are trying to join Europe, like Serbia and Moldavia, or in danger of falling out like Hungary and it makes Belarus even more of a tragic anachronism. An economically united and successful Europe is far more difficult for Russia to mess with, even if there's a non-NATO fringe to respect valid Russian fears. It's more peaceful, free and prosperous than if Russia still has Ukraine.

The Machivellian one is that I think Russia wants a role in the world but is weak. I also think they've overextended (not least due to our acquiescence in the Middle East). I think she will seek that and has a tendency to move from Europe to Asia and vice versa when resisted. If she's not able to operate in Europe - the geographical area, not political concept - then I think she'll turn to Asia. A Russian and Chinese rivalry would have advantages for the West.

From a purely British perspective we had lots of friends in Central Europe when they joined the EU, now we want to reform our terms of membership and we should really have been vocally helping them on this. Unfortunately we seem to be retreating from the world at an alarming pace :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!