News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 09:10:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2014, 03:27:41 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26364891
AP reported that they threw a flash grenade in response to a journalist's questions.

Okay, I can forgive them on this part.

You would make a good Russian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2014, 01:48:19 PM

Antipathy towards journos is not a uniquely Russian trait.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 12:46:31 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2014, 12:31:34 PM
Nothing wrong with autonomy.

Sure, but they already have that.

They have partial autonomy.  According to the reporting on NPR today, the referendum the Crimean parliament is proposing would further increase their autonomy.

Admiral Yi

But there's the Budapest Protocols which the US and UK are signatories of on Ukrainian territorial integrity.

Well, if we signed actual protocols i guess we have to go to war.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2014, 02:43:19 PM
But there's the Budapest Protocols which the US and UK are signatories of on Ukrainian territorial integrity.

Well, if we signed actual protocols i guess we have to go to war.

I am sure it will be a decisive victory.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 02:15:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2014, 01:48:19 PM

Antipathy towards journos is not a uniquely Russian trait.

Yeah, it's pretty popular amongst authoritarians of all stripes.

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2014, 03:04:13 PM
:lol:

:huh:

It was a very passive aggressive post.  You suggest, but do not make explicit, that Speesh is authoritarian (an assertion for which I have seen no evidence) and that only authoritarians have low opinions of journalists.  Virtually the entire board at some point or another has expressed a negative opinion of the journalistic profession.

derspiess

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 27, 2014, 02:38:14 PM
They have partial autonomy.  According to the reporting on NPR today, the referendum the Crimean parliament is proposing would further increase their autonomy.

I'm trying to find details on what the vote is supposed to do.  All I'm seeing is this:

QuoteThe referendum asks citizens to vote yes or no on the statement: "The Autonomous Republic of Crimea has state independence and is a part of Ukraine on the basis of agreements and accords."

I guess it comes down to whatever the hell "state independence" while still being "Part of Ukraine" means. 

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 03:16:47 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 27, 2014, 02:38:14 PM

I'm trying to find details on what the vote is supposed to do.  All I'm seeing is this:

QuoteThe referendum asks citizens to vote yes or no on the statement: "The Autonomous Republic of Crimea has state independence and is a part of Ukraine on the basis of agreements and accords."

I guess it comes down to whatever the hell "state independence" while still being "Part of Ukraine" means.

Sounds like Quebecois "sovereign association" to me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2014, 03:10:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2014, 03:04:13 PM
:lol:

:huh:

It was a very passive aggressive post. 

It's a Jacob post.  Passive-agressive is what he does. -_-

Quote from: Admiral Yi
You suggest, but do not make explicit, that Speesh is authoritarian (an assertion for which I have seen no evidence) and that only authoritarians have low opinions of journalists.  Virtually the entire board at some point or another has expressed a negative opinion of the journalistic profession.

Not I - I deeply respect the journalistic profession. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Journalists are scum. The founders made a mistake protecting their cowardly breed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive