News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2014, 12:55:56 PM
I thought the hipster crowd already imitated the downmarket items that proper poor people used.

I have seen people in Williamsburg wearing shitty-looking mismatched clothing that probably were worth half my month's pay.
Hey!  I wear those clothes. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2014, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 24, 2014, 12:54:29 PM
How fucking weird is it to see the Hammer and Sickle used as a Russian nationalist symbol?

It isn't weird at all. It recalls the times were their country was at the height of its power, which is a perfectly nationalistic thing to do.
I suppose, but it seemed to spend half it's time trying as hard as possible to repress ethnic Russian chauvinism. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Well, the Ukrainians had better get a nuclear program going ASAP, because when the Russians roll across the border and start butchering everything in sight, the West won't be doing anything to help them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2014, 12:43:50 PM
IMO, hipster would be mostly young trendy/bohemian people, while a bobo might be an older, more established guys, more likely to be an accomplished professional but still not wanting to fully "integrate" in mainstream bourgeoisie.
Yeah. David Brooks would write about bobos in paradise. Reihan Salam or Ross Douthat would write about hipsters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

It isn't weird at all. It recalls the times were their country was at the height of its power, which is a perfectly nationalistic thing to do.

Yup.

garbon

I thought the hipster crowd already imitated the downmarket items that proper poor people used.

I have seen people in Williamsburg wearing shitty-looking mismatched clothing that probably were worth half my month's pay.

Maybe. I also know a lot of people in Williamsburg who are poor out of affectation aka their parents could help them if necessary aka slumming.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on February 24, 2014, 12:57:22 PM

Because you're the Languish hipster.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

How fucking weird is it to see the Hammer and Sickle used as a Russian nationalist symbol?

Still weird in the context of right-wing-type nationalism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on February 24, 2014, 01:03:17 PM

Mihali?

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on February 24, 2014, 01:02:53 PM
Maybe. I also know a lot of people in Williamsburg who are poor out of affectation aka their parents could help them if necessary aka slumming.
Not getting help from your parents isn't an affectation.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2014, 01:06:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 24, 2014, 01:02:53 PM
Not getting help from your parents isn't an affectation.

I meant in the sense that they were choosing to make the choice to be poor vs. actual poverty as they have a safety net if shit gets serious.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on February 24, 2014, 01:05:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 24, 2014, 01:03:17 PM

Mihali?
Come off less hipsterish.  Also has a job.

Queequeg

Yeah, but a lot/most of my interests are pretty distinctly anti-Hipster.  Vast majority of Hipsters consider Christianity to be tacky.

Also, that's TBR stuff. 

Neil

What's TBR stuff?  You being a hipster?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2014, 01:04:23 PM

Still weird in the context of right-wing-type nationalism.

Eh, it's like southerns flying the confederate flag.  It's part of their proud "heritage", even though it's a symbol of tyranny and treason.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017