News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on January 26, 2014, 10:02:14 AM
One random clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi_B637FCDY#t=480.  You have to respect the restraint from both sides, though I have a feeling that this is going to change.

While not a proponent of the government...I didn't see any restraint from the mob side against the police in that clip.  Quite the opposite.

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 26, 2014, 08:59:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 26, 2014, 10:02:14 AM
One random clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi_B637FCDY#t=480.  You have to respect the restraint from both sides, though I have a feeling that this is going to change.

While not a proponent of the government...I didn't see any restraint from the mob side against the police in that clip.  Quite the opposite.
They weren't throwing Molotov cocktails on them or trying to hurt them.  They just harassed them enough so that they would decide to retreat out of the building.

Tonitrus

Not trying to hurt them?  I saw lots of boards being slammed onto heads (and sometimes even after they ripped their helmets off), and then the guy swinging the metal end of a firehose at their heads.

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 26, 2014, 09:12:35 PM
Not trying to hurt them?  I saw lots of boards being slammed onto heads (and sometimes even after they ripped their helmets off), and then the guy swinging the metal end of a firehose at their heads.
Well, some needed more convincing than others.  :whistle:  But at least among the protesters there were activists trying to pull back those who went too far.

Tamas

This is about whether Ukraine will become a second Belorussia, an autocraticly governed Russian satellite. It is no joking matter and whoever stands with force to support the Belorusification (ie. the police) is a valid target.

Queequeg

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2014, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 26, 2014, 06:15:00 PM
I very, very seriously doubt Russian troops will cross in to the Ukraine unless there's some kind of secession or violence against "ethnic Russians", which is a fucking retarded distinction in this case.

:blurgh:
Kiev isn't foreign to Russia. That's an absurdity.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2014, 09:38:21 AM

This is about whether Ukraine will become a second Belorussia, an autocraticly governed Russian satellite. It is no joking matter and whoever stands with force to support the Belorusification (ie. the police) is a valid target.

We now see better the contours of Tamas' "classical liberalism." :lol:  Not that I disagree with the point in question.

See also the headscarf debate.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on January 27, 2014, 11:40:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2014, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 26, 2014, 06:15:00 PM
I very, very seriously doubt Russian troops will cross in to the Ukraine unless there's some kind of secession or violence against "ethnic Russians", which is a fucking retarded distinction in this case.

:blurgh:
Kiev isn't foreign to Russia. That's an absurdity.
There is a bit of a difference between Kievan Rus and modern Russian state originating from Muscovy.

Grinning_Colossus

Given the number of linguistic and historical ties between the three cultures, 'East Slavic' can kind of work as a supra-ethnicity in the same way that 'Scandinavian,' 'Arab,' and 'Chinese' do. The Russians use the term Rossiysky, which I think means roughly 'natively Russian-speaking and white.' But just like in those other cases, there are still real cultural differences within the broader group, and of course nationalist intellectuals in Ukraine have been doing a lot of identity construction over the last 20 years.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2014, 12:37:16 PM
There is a bit of a difference between Kievan Rus and modern Russian state originating from Muscovy.
It's about the same difference as between Antwerp and Amsterdam, or Basel and Hamburg. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 27, 2014, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2014, 09:38:21 AM

We now see better the contours of Tamas' "classical liberalism." :lol:  Not that I disagree with the point in question.

See also the headscarf debate.

Huh?

Malthus

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 27, 2014, 01:28:34 PM
Given the number of linguistic and historical ties between the three cultures, 'East Slavic' can kind of work as a supra-ethnicity in the same way that 'Scandinavian,' 'Arab,' and 'Chinese' do. The Russians use the term Rossiysky, which I think means roughly 'natively Russian-speaking and white.' But just like in those other cases, there are still real cultural differences within the broader group, and of course nationalist intellectuals in Ukraine have been doing a lot of identity construction over the last 20 years.

My wife's mother immigrated to Canada in the 1950s, and her family most definitely considered themselves "Ukranian" and in no way "Russian" even then.

Ukranian and Russian are apparently pretty different as languages (I don't speak either, but my wife is fluent in Ukranian and can understand Russian).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

It's the difference between Swiss German and German. 

Razgovory

Perhaps a better example might be Yiddish and German, considering what the Ukrainian speaker suffered at the hands of their Russian brothers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

How nice of Psellus to come along and tell me my ethnicity doesn't exist.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.