And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2014, 12:52:19 PM
Allegedly, tanks are being railroaded to Kiev:
Wow, that's just like the Prokhorovka map (except that Prokhorovka is in a different country for now).

derspiess

I saw a pic of the police lighting a couple molotovs, apparently to throw at the protesters?  Is that an Eastern Europe riot control measure??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 22, 2014, 01:02:15 PM
I saw a pic of the police lighting a couple molotovs, apparently to throw at the protesters?  Is that an Eastern Europe riot control measure??
It is, though the standard practice is to put on a tracksuit and mingle with the demonstrators first.

alfred russel

https://twitter.com/detinets_tv/status/426023797863362560/photo/1

The prez postponed any decision until tomorrow, so probably there will be a big crackdown tonight.

Then tonight I will finally learn who wins when a tank goes up against a trebuchet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on January 22, 2014, 01:08:13 PM
https://twitter.com/detinets_tv/status/426023797863362560/photo/1

The prez postponed any decision until tomorrow, so probably there will be a big crackdown tonight.

Then tonight I will finally learn who wins when a tank goes up against a trebuchet.

In the first Civilization game, the trebuchet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I hope that trebuchet has a couple of HEAT projectiles. :unsure:

Syt

EU's Barroso threatens sanctions against Ukraine if state violence increases. Russia criticizes EU and says instead of sanctions the Ukraine needs help.

If the situation in Ukraine escalates and the government calls for help from the big brother in the East which will be provided in the form of soldiers and tanks, then I predict the EU will be shocked, indignated, but nothing else will happen.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Is there still time left for an Olympic boycott? :shifty:

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2014, 01:04:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 22, 2014, 01:02:15 PM
It is, though the standard practice is to put on a tracksuit and mingle with the demonstrators first.

kthnks

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2014, 01:24:45 PM
EU's Barroso threatens sanctions against Ukraine if state violence increases. Russia criticizes EU and says instead of sanctions the Ukraine needs help.

If the situation in Ukraine escalates and the government calls for help from the big brother in the East which will be provided in the form of soldiers and tanks, then I predict the EU will be shocked, indignated, but nothing else will happen.

A strongly worded letter will be drafted.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2014, 01:27:06 PM
Is there still time left for an Olympic boycott? :shifty:

The Russians were humiliated in the last winter olympics. While I'm sure they have taken precautions so that won't happen this time, a chance to humiliate them at their own Olympics can't be passed up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25838962

QuoteThe laws also prescribe jail terms for anyone blockading public buildings and outlaw unauthorised tents in public areas.

European Union leaders have expressed shock at the deaths and called for on all sides to halt the violence.

"If there is a systematic violation of human rights, including shooting at peaceful demonstrators or serious attacks to the basic freedoms, then we have to rethink our relationship with Ukraine," said Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the EU Commission.

The US also strongly condemned the escalating situation.

"Increased tensions in Ukraine are a direct consequence of the Ukrainian government's failure to engage in real dialogue and the passage of anti-democratic legislation," a US state department spokeswoman said.

Russia has accused the EU and US of "outside interference" in Ukrainian affairs. [Something Russia never does, of course - Syt]

"The extremist part of the opposition is crudely violating the country's constitution," Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Grigory Karasin told Interfax news agency.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2014, 01:24:45 PM
I don't think Europe has much to fear from a resurgent once-defeated great power, especially one that is pre-occupied with hosting the Olympics.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould