News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Solmyr on December 11, 2013, 12:30:57 PM
How do Crimean Tatars figure into all this?

They were all deported during WWII to Siberia.  Wiki says that as of today a quarter million have returned, which is a pretty negligible number.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2013, 09:15:54 AM
Question about the Russian-speaking Ukrainians:  do they consider themselves real, patriotic Ukrainians, or would they sell out Ukraine the first chance they get in order to live under the Russian flag?

There was a Crimean separatist movement under Yurij Meshkov in the 90's that might have seen the Russians living there joining Russia.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Crimea has no real connection to the Ukraine historically.  It's an accident of the creation of the SSRs that it was part of the Ukraine SSR and not an autonomous SSR under Russia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Police have stormed barricades in Kiev. Two protestors died; media say they were shot by police.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

This might just be the battle that decides where Ukraine swings for the next few decades, and those who want to belong to the developed world seem to be losing the battle.

I predict the same stuff happening in Hungary in about ten years.

Tamas

Tamas

Since apparently the police`s assault on the barricades was repulsed, I wonder when the army will move in?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2014, 07:56:51 AM
This is how you riot properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APGnKRx67kI

looks like a bunch of re-enactors having some playtime :p Their costumes suck though.

Iormlund

As cute as that is, home-made rockets would be far less cumbersome. Our rioting miners vouch by them.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Tamas

Tamas

Allegedly, tanks are being railroaded to Kiev:
https://twitter.com/detinets_tv/status/426023797863362560/photo/1

The prez postponed any decision until tomorrow, so probably there will be a big crackdown tonight.