News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Apparently there's been some sort of deal. Opposition figures said it's 'quite' likely that the violence will end. Can't see anyone with details yet though.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

No deal.  It's a bit alarming how the chatter about Ukraine splitting up has picked up recently.  I'm sure Russia poured oil on the fire intentionally by expressing a disapproval of the split, which only added credibility to such a solution.  It really does begin to sound like less of a protest, and more of an uprising.

derspiess

A split seems like the only sensible solution.  Why would Russia be against it?  It could absorb the Eastern part back into Mother Russia.  Seems like the Western Ukes will never accept being a Russian client state, so getting the Eastern part is about as well as Russia could do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Why would they accept an EU client state there if they could just keep an unstable semi-dependent mess?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 24, 2014, 10:31:19 AM
A split seems like the only sensible solution.  Why would Russia be against it?  It could absorb the Eastern part back into Mother Russia.  Seems like the Western Ukes will never accept being a Russian client state, so getting the Eastern part is about as well as Russia could do.
I'm sure Russia is secretly for it, as long as it's done relatively peacefully, and not by bring a full-scale war to its doorstep.  Putin wants to rebuild USSR, and divide and conquer works well.  Coming out publicly against it is just a piece of Byzantine politics from a Byzantine state.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2014, 10:33:24 AM
Why would they accept an EU client state there if they could just keep an unstable semi-dependent mess?

Because then they get either a stable, happy Russian client state, or a direct acquisition, South Ossetia-style.  Why would they want an unstable mess on their border?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2014, 10:12:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2014, 07:03:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 02:20:45 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2014, 01:24:45 PM
EU's Barroso threatens sanctions against Ukraine if state violence increases. Russia criticizes EU and says instead of sanctions the Ukraine needs help.

If the situation in Ukraine escalates and the government calls for help from the big brother in the East which will be provided in the form of soldiers and tanks, then I predict the EU will be shocked, indignated, but nothing else will happen.

I can't see Yanukovych calling for the Russian Army for help.  His entire presidency has been about trying to dance inbetween both the EU and Russia.  Calling for the Russians would mean a total loss of independence for him.

He may not have a choice.  If things get really bad, the Russians might come in anyway.

That's usually called an invasion though.

Putin got away with it in Georgia to be sure, but not as sure things would go the same way in Ukraine.

If civil war broke out, it's possible.  There would be a lot of pressure to protect the ethnic Russian populace.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

One random clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi_B637FCDY#t=480.  You have to respect the restraint from both sides, though I have a feeling that this is going to change.

Josquius

I don't really see the Russians moving into the Ukraine.
Even in Georgia they had to wait for the Georgians to make the first move and attack one of their break away regions. And Georgia...is a far more insignificant and out of the way state.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on January 26, 2014, 10:05:36 AM
I don't really see the Russians moving into the Ukraine.
Even in Georgia they had to wait for the Georgians to make the first move and attack one of their break away regions. And Georgia...is a far more insignificant and out of the way state.
Maybe, but it's been five years since that war, and Putin has gotten more and more emboldened, while US, well, hasn't.  The standard for the pretext required for intervention may not be as high now.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 26, 2014, 10:02:14 AM
One random clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi_B637FCDY#t=480.  You have to respect the restraint from both sides, though I have a feeling that this is going to change.

Man their riot police really suck.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

I very, very seriously doubt Russian troops will cross in to the Ukraine unless there's some kind of secession or violence against "ethnic Russians", which is a fucking retarded distinction in this case.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on January 26, 2014, 06:15:00 PM
I very, very seriously doubt Russian troops will cross in to the Ukraine unless there's some kind of secession or violence against "ethnic Russians", which is a fucking retarded distinction in this case.

Fucking retarded distinctions like that have caused all sorts of trouble in the past.

Queequeg

I don't see radical Ukrainian nationalists or radical Russian nationalists taking power in Ukraine any time within the foreseeable time horizon. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on January 26, 2014, 06:15:00 PM

:blurgh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.