News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

How many regimes can Russia afford to prop up at once?
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2014, 02:03:29 PM
How many regimes can Russia the CIA afford to prop up destabilize at once?

FIXED
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2014, 01:41:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2014, 01:24:45 PM
If the situation in Ukraine escalates and the government calls for help from the big brother in the East which will be provided in the form of soldiers and tanks, then I predict the EU will be shocked, indignated, but nothing else will happen.
I don't think Europe has much to fear from a resurgent once-defeated great power, especially one that is pre-occupied with hosting the Olympics.

Is this a Sweden 1912 reference?  :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

EU's Barroso threatens sanctions against Ukraine if state violence increases. Russia criticizes EU and says instead of sanctions the Ukraine needs help.

If the situation in Ukraine escalates and the government calls for help from the big brother in the East which will be provided in the form of soldiers and tanks, then I predict the EU will be shocked, indignated, but nothing else will happen.

I can't see Yanukovych calling for the Russian Army for help.  His entire presidency has been about trying to dance inbetween both the EU and Russia.  Calling for the Russians would mean a total loss of independence for him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 02:20:45 PM
EU's Barroso threatens sanctions against Ukraine if state violence increases. Russia criticizes EU and says instead of sanctions the Ukraine needs help.

I can't see Yanukovych calling for the Russian Army for help.  His entire presidency has been about trying to dance inbetween both the EU and Russia.  Calling for the Russians would mean a total loss of independence for him.

Err, the whole thing started because at the past moment he refused to sign a treaty with the EU and instead switched to Putin's warm embrace. His (and Putin's) chips are quite clearly on the table

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2014, 05:47:33 PM

Err, the whole thing started because at the past moment he refused to sign a treaty with the EU and instead switched to Putin's warm embrace. His (and Putin's) chips are quite clearly on the table

This was clearly zig towards Russia (although Putin somewhat forced his hand, offering gas subsidies / threatening gas cut-offs), but he's shown zero interest in going "all in" with Putin, like Putin so desperately wants.  No customs union, for example.  He's continued to keep talking with the EU as well, though not much has come of it.

Yanukovych will take Russian money, if offered, but not Russian troops.  After all - look how well that worked out for Hungary in '56 or Czechoslovakia in '68.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 05:50:27 PM
Yanukovych will take Russian money, if offered, but not Russian troops.  After all - look how well that worked out for Hungary in '56 or Czechoslovakia in '68.

Worked out well for the pro-Russian hardliners in both cases, actually.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on January 22, 2014, 05:54:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 05:50:27 PM

Worked out well for the pro-Russian hardliners in both cases, actually.

But did it work out for the current government of either country?  No, it did not.  Rather, it worked out for the pro-Russian hardliners who replaced them.

Razgovory

He may not have a choice.  If things get really bad, the Russians might come in anyway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2014, 07:03:43 PM

He may not have a choice.  If things get really bad, the Russians might come in anyway.

That's usually called an invasion though.

Putin got away with it in Georgia to be sure, but not as sure things would go the same way in Ukraine.

Maximus

I have a friend who was over there teaching English and seems to have gotten involved...

derspiess

No way Putin will invade.  He'll just continue doing sneaky KGB stuff to Ukraine.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

:yes: He could bite his tongue quite badly like this.