News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Christian Denomination

Started by Queequeg, October 22, 2013, 01:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Christian Denomination or Movement?

Mainline Catholic
11 (25.6%)
Other Catholic
0 (0%)
Orthodox
4 (9.3%)
Oriental Orthodox
0 (0%)
Other Non-Catholic Eastern
0 (0%)
Gnostic Sillyness
4 (9.3%)
Pre-Lutheran Nicene Movement (Hussites, Lollards)
0 (0%)
Lutheran
6 (14%)
Anglican, including other members of Anglican Communion
3 (7%)
Mainline Calvinist
0 (0%)
Other Reformed, Methodist
2 (4.7%)
Baptist
0 (0%)
Anabaptist
0 (0%)
Quaker, Shaker
4 (9.3%)
American Evangelicalism
0 (0%)
Pentecostal
0 (0%)
Other Radical Reformed (Mennonite)
0 (0%)
Other Protestant
0 (0%)
Misc. Other
1 (2.3%)
Rastafarian, Mormon
1 (2.3%)
Death to the kafir
1 (2.3%)
All equally worthless
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2013, 02:00:46 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2013, 01:58:26 PM
None, I don't really care about the differences between Christian denominations.
People too cool for school are lame.
Religion and spirituality has little meaning for me personally and doesn't really feature in my social environment either. I couldn't tell you any of my closer friends that is a regular churchgoer or openly religious. When I lived in the US I noticed that Americans often seem to put more emphasis on religion and church and the social function of church communities. I mean that also exists in Germany, but it doesn't seem to have the same importance in society. So for me the exact differences between different denominations really aren't very meaningful or relevant as I have very little contact with it anyway. If that makes me lame, so be it.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2013, 03:35:54 PM

I mean, I don't put a lot of value in the muslim faith, but I could tell you some basic information about the sunni, shia, suffi and wahhabist schools of thought.

Me too. They blow up buildings and beat people up after having had gay sex with them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2013, 03:37:20 PM
Religion and spirituality has little meaning for me personally and doesn't really feature in my social environment either. I couldn't tell you any of my closer friends that is a regular churchgoer or openly religious. When I lived in the US I noticed that Americans often seem to put more emphasis on religion and church and the social function of church communities. I mean that also exists in Germany, but it doesn't seem to have the same importance in society. So for me the exact differences between different denominations really aren't very meaningful or relevant as I have very little contact with it anyway. If that makes me lame, so be it.

But we were told specifically to not care about the beliefs and the distinctions but only with the cultural and intellectual thing you find interesting.  So look at the historical impacts, you have zero preference for the cultural and intellectual impacts between the Orthodox East and the Catholic West?  Maybe not.  But even if you did that would not require much actual knowledge about the exact differences between those religions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2013, 03:29:31 PM
I first quoted the last poll options but then figured it doesn't adequately represent my opinion about Christian denominations as I don't consider them "worthless", so I deleted that. I couldn't even tell you what differences there are between most of the poll choices. I guess I can roughly distinguish between Catholics and Protestants, but I have no idea what say Pentecostals are and what makes them different from Calvinists or Baptists. I assume all of them are protestants in some form, but that's about it.

Isn't some basic level of education about religion, including the practices and beliefs of some of the major world religions, together with some of the major denominations, part of being a well rounded person?

I mean, I don't put a lot of value in the muslim faith, but I could tell you some basic information about the sunni, shia, suffi and wahhabist schools of thought.

I agree, thought it can be tricky with protestants since there is such a myriad of beliefs.  I honestly can't tell the difference between Methodists and Pentecostals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Which ones have the best dinners is the better question. Catholics do better pancake breakfasts, but you just can't beat Baptist fried chicken.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2013, 03:29:31 PM
I first quoted the last poll options but then figured it doesn't adequately represent my opinion about Christian denominations as I don't consider them "worthless", so I deleted that. I couldn't even tell you what differences there are between most of the poll choices. I guess I can roughly distinguish between Catholics and Protestants, but I have no idea what say Pentecostals are and what makes them different from Calvinists or Baptists. I assume all of them are protestants in some form, but that's about it.
Pentecostals are all about the Holy Spirit (named after Pentecost when the Holy Spirit descended upon the disciples). So they've got very little formal liturgy it's more classically about being seized by the Holy Spirit. Their worship often involves speaking in tongues, healing etc.

They're an extraordinary movement. I'd guess they're the fastest growing denomination in the world. Started in the early 20th century in poor often African-American communities, they had integrated Churches in Texas in the 1910s. Now they're huge (and growing) in Latin America, Africa, Asia and still often in African American communities.

My areas got a large (predominately African but some South American) Pentecostal presence. The giveaway is names like 'Power Church' and 'Rock of Redemption' :lol:

QuoteDitto.  I don't consider them "worthless," but I consider the differences between them to be an issue for their members, not for me.
But these are cultural and intellectual differences. Regardless of your views on the differences you can still prefer Anglican Evensong to Gospel or Catholic art to Orthodox iconography. Those differences are for everyone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Isn't some basic level of education about religion, including the practices and beliefs of some of the major world religions, together with some of the major denominations, part of being a well rounded person?

Yes. I could also tell you some basic information about half of the poll choices. But the difference between "mainline" and "other" Catholics or between orthodox, oriental orthodox and other non-catholic eastern churches is beyond my interest. I am sure they have some dogmatic, ritual or hierarchical differences, but while I am generally a quite curious person that never really interested me in detail. And even if I had encyclopedic knowledge about all the various Christian denominations, I would still not really be able to pick a favorite as I have no personal affinity to any of them. 

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 03:48:21 PM
I agree, thought it can be tricky with protestants since there is such a myriad of beliefs.  I honestly can't tell the difference between Methodists and Pentecostals.

Seriously?  They're almost as far apart as two Christian denominations can be.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

I went with the Catholics.  I like their sense of order, even though I suppose that it gets them into trouble.  Pretty much any country where the Catholic faith was strong is a trainwreck, but there's just something appealing about the hierarchy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2013, 03:50:50 PM
Yes. I could also tell you some basic information about half of the poll choices. But the difference between "mainline" and "other" Catholics or between orthodox, oriental orthodox and other non-catholic eastern churches is beyond my interest. I am sure they have some dogmatic, ritual or hierarchical differences, but while I am generally a quite curious person that never really interested me in detail. And even if I had encyclopedic knowledge about all the various Christian denominations, I would still not really be able to pick a favorite as I have no personal affinity to any of them.
But this is about their intellectual and cultural heritage: Thomas Tallis or Stravinsky, Tolkien or Dostoyevsky. It's not about Arminian pre-destination v double pre-destination which is tedious even for people who find Christianity interesting :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

I went orthodox.  There's just something very appealing about their iconography and their services (I attended one or two - didn't understand a word, but very interesting).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2013, 03:50:49 PM
But these are cultural and intellectual differences. Regardless of your views on the differences you can still prefer Anglican Evensong to Gospel or Catholic art to Orthodox iconography. Those differences are for everyone.

I could have preferences, but don't.  Those differences are for everyone who cares, which doesn't include me.  I just don't place the values on those things that some do.  It's like the differences between various forms of jazz.  If you care, fine.  I just don't care; it's not in my sphere of interests..
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

There is only one DJ Jazzy Jeff (PBUH).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2013, 03:56:20 PM
I went orthodox.  There's just something very appealing about their iconography and their services (I attended one or two - didn't understand a word, but very interesting).
We serve in English, you know.

I of course voted Ortho.  No surprises there.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2013, 03:41:59 PM
But we were told specifically to not care about the beliefs and the distinctions but only with the cultural and intellectual thing you find interesting.  So look at the historical impacts, you have zero preference for the cultural and intellectual impacts between the Orthodox East and the Catholic West?  Maybe not.  But even if you did that would not require much actual knowledge about the exact differences between those religions.

Well, then I have to go with the Roman Catholic Church (I guess that would be "mainline Catholics" in the poll) as they obviously have most historical impact and with the Pope they have a highly visible pop culture figurehead which is good for identification of the church. They are powerful, they are controversial, they are secretive, they are monolithic. All of that is unlike the multitude of Protestants that I cannot tell apart and which seem to have a fraction of the (bad) public relations of the Roman Catholic Church. Their 2000 year tradition with claims going back to the Apostles is also pretty interesting (I think some of the Eastern churches have that too) and the Vatican is a worthy headquarter of such an organisation.

Other than that maybe the Anabaptists because I used to live in Münster for a while, so I know their role in the history of that city. There are still cages for them high up on one of the church towers.