News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Christian Denomination

Started by Queequeg, October 22, 2013, 01:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Christian Denomination or Movement?

Mainline Catholic
11 (25.6%)
Other Catholic
0 (0%)
Orthodox
4 (9.3%)
Oriental Orthodox
0 (0%)
Other Non-Catholic Eastern
0 (0%)
Gnostic Sillyness
4 (9.3%)
Pre-Lutheran Nicene Movement (Hussites, Lollards)
0 (0%)
Lutheran
6 (14%)
Anglican, including other members of Anglican Communion
3 (7%)
Mainline Calvinist
0 (0%)
Other Reformed, Methodist
2 (4.7%)
Baptist
0 (0%)
Anabaptist
0 (0%)
Quaker, Shaker
4 (9.3%)
American Evangelicalism
0 (0%)
Pentecostal
0 (0%)
Other Radical Reformed (Mennonite)
0 (0%)
Other Protestant
0 (0%)
Misc. Other
1 (2.3%)
Rastafarian, Mormon
1 (2.3%)
Death to the kafir
1 (2.3%)
All equally worthless
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 42

PDH

Quote from: Queequeg on October 22, 2013, 04:33:45 PM
Quote from: PDH on October 22, 2013, 04:31:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2013, 03:48:51 PM
Which ones have the best dinners is the better question. Catholics do better pancake breakfasts, but you just can't beat Baptist fried chicken.

You want stick to the ribs food?  Lutheran, especially upper Midwest.
You mean Lutefisk?

I mean all the hotdishes that are down in the church basement - lot's of good cheese and rice things, oh yeah.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2013, 01:58:15 PM
All Protestants are going to Hell.  Orthodox will go to Limbo.
Since Limbo is doctrinally unfounded, although lovingly rendered by Alighieri, I'm not worried.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html

Also, Seedy's understanding of limbo is, doctrinally speaking, lacking, since Orthodox baptism meets all the Roman requirements, and therefore, we are not subject to limbo.  So, in essence, papa cacat in silvis.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2013, 05:25:50 PM
This is what interests me with regard to the original question. 

Four hundred yards from here is a largely unchanged early 18th century Presbyterian meeting house, it became Unitarian in the 19th and now sadly isn't used for religion, but music and coffee mornings etc.

I've always had a unspoken ambition to do something political in it, as I feel what formerly went on in there was in part political in nature.
Yeah I mean 5 of the 6 Tolpuddle Martyrs were Methodist and two lay preachers. Here's the Methodist Chapel with the memorial arch, paid for by the TUC:

And here's the Martyrs' Museum on Methodism coming to the village:
QuoteMethodism and other non-conformist forms of worship were spreading with their more open and free approach to religious service. Five of the Tolpuddle Martyrs were Methodists, with George and James Loveless as local preachers. Next to Thomas Standfield's cottage in Tolpuddle was built a tiny cobb chapel.

How radical such a development was in rural areas is shown by the account in the Salisbury Journal of the chapel's first service on 13 October 1818. It reported that after the service, "a mob of about 100 persons were found assembled. These persons behaved in a most turbulent manner. A lady was pushed down a bank into the road; the horses were much frightened by the tumult. For more than two miles, the drivers, horse and carriages were pelted by the mob with stones, mud etc.; the windows of the chaise were broken and even the side of the chaise was pierced by a stone. One lady who rode by the side of the driver had a severe blow on her head and at Piddletown, the driver received a blow to his neck."
The old cobb Chapel:

Edit: There was something extremely political merely in having a non-establishment church that not only didn't serve the local gentry in a rather lukewarm way but that involved the lay ministry of uneducated working class people.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Excellent stuff.

And to a degree it's now a pilgrimage site; politics fading into religion?

edit:

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2013, 05:53:37 PM

Edit: There was something extremely political merely in having a non-establishment church that not only didn't serve the local gentry in a rather lukewarm way but that involved the lay ministry of uneducated working class people.

Indeed.

And 'we' need some movement akin to that in the current political climate, UKIP and new-old Labour don't cut.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2013, 03:51:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 03:48:21 PM
I agree, thought it can be tricky with protestants since there is such a myriad of beliefs.  I honestly can't tell the difference between Methodists and Pentecostals.

Seriously?  They're almost as far apart as two Christian denominations can be.

I'm not good at telling various communist parties apart either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Yeah I think there's something to that. There's always been a slightly religious sentimentalism and nostalgia to a lot of the left.

Apparently Parliament may close soon because the building's in enormous disrepair and needs a huge renovation. So they may decamp for a while to Methodist Central Hall - just across Parliament square. Which seems appropriate, it hosted the first meeting of the UN General Assembly too:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 22, 2013, 05:27:58 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 22, 2013, 04:33:45 PM
Quote from: PDH on October 22, 2013, 04:31:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2013, 03:48:51 PM
Which ones have the best dinners is the better question. Catholics do better pancake breakfasts, but you just can't beat Baptist fried chicken.

You want stick to the ribs food?  Lutheran, especially upper Midwest.
You mean Lutefisk?

I mean all the hotdishes that are down in the church basement - lot's of good cheese and rice things, oh yeah.

Cheesy Potatoes. :mmm:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 06:01:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2013, 03:51:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 03:48:21 PM
I agree, thought it can be tricky with protestants since there is such a myriad of beliefs.  I honestly can't tell the difference between Methodists and Pentecostals.

Seriously?  They're almost as far apart as two Christian denominations can be.

I'm not good at telling various communist parties apart either.
The thing is that if you were to ask the typical Pentecostal how they are different in their beliefs from Methodists (and vice versa), I doubt they could tell you.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2013, 06:12:15 PM
Don't they do that thing where they put a bunch of tater tots, cream of mushroom soup, and shredded cheddar in a big casserole dish?  I think that's what 'hot dish' is. :hmm:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on October 22, 2013, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2013, 06:12:15 PM
Don't they do that thing where they put a bunch of tater tots, cream of mushroom soup, and shredded cheddar in a big casserole dish?  I think that's what 'hot dish' is. :hmm:

Green bean casserole?

When at a church dinner, I avoid stuff like that.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Green bean casserole is awesome. Cashews and french fried onion rings are delicious, the cream of mushroom soup keeps it moist enough you don't need to drink, and the beans let you pretend it's healthy.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I used to like green bean casserole, until I pretty much had to eat it at EVERY GODDAMN FAMILY GATHERING I attend here, and often more than one version, as various sisters have to compete over who has the 'best' green bean casserole.  Same goes for broccoli casserole.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2013, 04:03:36 PM
That surprises me. I mean jazz is one specific genre whereas religiously inspired art or music is the entire Western Canon until the 18th century. Subsequently it's less common but still a relatively important stream of art, music, film and literature. It seems a big part of our cultural heritage to simply be indifferent to.

I am not indifferent to it, I am just indifferent to the labels.  Some people care about the labels attached to some things, others about the labels attached to different things.  I don't care about the labels attached to different forms of jazz, or to different types of religious music.  I  just know what I like, and what I don't, in those genres.

It surprises me that it surprises you that not everyone shares your interests.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!