News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Christian Denomination

Started by Queequeg, October 22, 2013, 01:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Christian Denomination or Movement?

Mainline Catholic
11 (25.6%)
Other Catholic
0 (0%)
Orthodox
4 (9.3%)
Oriental Orthodox
0 (0%)
Other Non-Catholic Eastern
0 (0%)
Gnostic Sillyness
4 (9.3%)
Pre-Lutheran Nicene Movement (Hussites, Lollards)
0 (0%)
Lutheran
6 (14%)
Anglican, including other members of Anglican Communion
3 (7%)
Mainline Calvinist
0 (0%)
Other Reformed, Methodist
2 (4.7%)
Baptist
0 (0%)
Anabaptist
0 (0%)
Quaker, Shaker
4 (9.3%)
American Evangelicalism
0 (0%)
Pentecostal
0 (0%)
Other Radical Reformed (Mennonite)
0 (0%)
Other Protestant
0 (0%)
Misc. Other
1 (2.3%)
Rastafarian, Mormon
1 (2.3%)
Death to the kafir
1 (2.3%)
All equally worthless
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Maximus

Doesn't seem to be a good category for Universalism and similar modern movements with intellectual bent.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

All Protestants are going to Hell.  Orthodox will go to Limbo.

Zanza

None, I don't really care about the differences between Christian denominations.

CountDeMoney

Hateful, cynical Euros are going to Double Hell.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2013, 01:58:26 PM
None, I don't really care about the differences between Christian denominations.

People too cool for school are lame.

Anyway Unity of course :pope:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Maximus on October 22, 2013, 01:53:33 PM
Doesn't seem to be a good category for Universalism and similar modern movements with intellectual bent.

Does that count as "Christian"?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maximus

Some of them would seem to consider themselves Christian, e.g Christian Science

mongers

« Reply #17 on: Today at 19:57:48 »
Quote from: Zanza link=topic=10618.msg657030#msg657030
All equally worthless

:hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Holy Mother Church, followed by CofE and Orthos.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Ditto.  I don't consider them "worthless," but I consider the differences between them to be an issue for their members, not for me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2013, 02:19:49 PM
« Reply #17 on: Today at 19:57:48 »
Quote from: Zanza link=topic=10618.msg657030#msg657030
All equally worthless

:hmm:
I first quoted the last poll options but then figured it doesn't adequately represent my opinion about Christian denominations as I don't consider them "worthless", so I deleted that. I couldn't even tell you what differences there are between most of the poll choices. I guess I can roughly distinguish between Catholics and Protestants, but I have no idea what say Pentecostals are and what makes them different from Calvinists or Baptists. I assume all of them are protestants in some form, but that's about it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2013, 03:22:02 PM

Ditto.  I don't consider them "worthless," but I consider the differences between them to be an issue for their members, not for me.

It is helpful to know which sect is more likely to contain literalist loons so as to know who not to vote for in elections.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2013, 03:22:02 PM

Why do you say that?  We specifically were not supposed to concern ourselves with their beliefs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2013, 03:29:31 PM
I first quoted the last poll options but then figured it doesn't adequately represent my opinion about Christian denominations as I don't consider them "worthless", so I deleted that. I couldn't even tell you what differences there are between most of the poll choices. I guess I can roughly distinguish between Catholics and Protestants, but I have no idea what say Pentecostals are and what makes them different from Calvinists or Baptists. I assume all of them are protestants in some form, but that's about it.

Isn't some basic level of education about religion, including the practices and beliefs of some of the major world religions, together with some of the major denominations, part of being a well rounded person?

I mean, I don't put a lot of value in the muslim faith, but I could tell you some basic information about the sunni, shia, suffi and wahhabist schools of thought.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.