Link Wray
2 (5.3%)
Yes
11 (28.9%)
The Zombies
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Josquius

In the UK at least indie is absolutely a genre with its own sound.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 10, 2014, 10:11:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 10, 2014, 10:09:53 AM
I'm not overly familiar with The Smiths.  :Embarrass:

Don't worry, most people aren't, which is why Sting would get in before they would.

I'm torn. I mean Sting is kind of fun but Morrissey is a dick, and like in the bad way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2014, 02:07:08 PM

I'm torn. I mean Sting is kind of fun but Morrissey is a dick, and like in the bad way.

Morrissey has mostly been a dick after The Smiths disintegrated, no? Sure, always been a drama queen, but he is a musician.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on October 10, 2014, 02:04:51 PM
I definitely wouldn't call The Smiths a folk rock band.

I'm thinking of bands like Mumford & Sons, the Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men. Very light and folkish.

The Smiths may have been proto-Alternative, but that was always Rock.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on October 10, 2014, 02:10:11 PM
The magic of The Smiths is in Johnny Marr.

Listening to Marr's new single 'Easy Money' I'm pretty confident in replying: "half of it" to your statement. Sure, still a nice guitar hook, but forgettable vocals and lyrics.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2014, 02:12:57 PM

I'm thinking of bands like Mumford & Sons, the Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men. Very light and folkish.

Wiki notes these 4 bands as the launch of mainstream success for indie rock - The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives and The Vines.

I looked up your first two and wiki has them as folk rock / indie folk.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

He got old and rich :p
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2014, 02:12:57 PM

That's indie folk.
Not indie indie.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Ok, well there's no question that the White Stripes and the Strokes are rock bands. I'm not sure why Tyr would posit them as a separate genre.  :huh:

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2014, 02:18:24 PM
Ok, well there's no question that the White Stripes and the Strokes are rock bands. I'm not sure why Tyr would posit them as a separate genre.  :huh:

They're still rock bands even if you define their music as indie rock.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2014, 02:18:24 PM

Yeah when he says something like indie folk, it seems like "indie" is really just more of a modifier on various genres.

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on October 10, 2014, 02:15:05 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 10, 2014, 02:10:11 PM
The magic of The Smiths is in Johnny Marr.

Listening to Marr's new single 'Easy Money' I'm pretty confident in replying: "half of it" to your statement. Sure, still a nice guitar hook, but forgettable vocals and lyrics.

I think of Morrissey and Marr as similar to Lou Reed and John Cale; people with very different musical visions who could (somehow) work together and create something much more than their individual talents supplied.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Rock.....These days it kind of carries connotations of 80s style long hair, unfashionable stuff. Very much towards the heavier side of the spectrum, much more so than the Strokes or the White Stripes. Though yes, by traditional definitions a lot of indie bands are also rock.
Indie is a very expansive genre. Pretty much means whatever the NME and the like love to go on about.
I'm not just making this up. Maybe its an Atlantic divide thing. But indie is very much seen as a kind of music in Britain.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Any band with a guitar, a bass guitar and drums is probably gonna fall under "Rock" even if they sound nothing like Van Halen.