The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

"What an astonishing thing it is, that those who are employed to sign the Continental bills should not be able, or inclined, to do it as fast as they are wanted. They will prove the destruction of the army, if they are not more attentive and diligent. Such a dearth of public spirit, and want of virtue, such stock-jobbing, and fertility in all the low arts to obtain advantages of one kind or another, in this great change of military arrangement, I never saw before, and pray God I may never be witness to again. What will be the ultimate end of these manoeuvres is beyond my scan. I tremble at the prospect."
– George Washington, letter to Joseph Reed, Cambridge, November 28, 1775

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 29, 2013, 04:56:26 PM
I agreed with Rupert Murdoch's tweets:
Are Republicans self-destructing just when Obama at his weakest? Partial govt shut-down small issue compared to possible default.
Cruz' grandstanding will cost him long-term, smarter Rand Paul silent. Meanwhile# both sides seem incapable of political deal making.

There is no both sides to this. The GOP are demanding "give us everything, or we blow up shit". Obama and the Dems have been compromising and giving ground since 2008 and there's no more ground to give. It's basically nihilism from the Republicans.

Threatening a shut down or worse, a default, because they don't get to run the country like they have the Presidency and a majority in both houses is on the GOP.

At this point "both sides" is an attempt to get some of the mud and blood from the GOP nihilist explosion to stick on the Dems as well.

PDH

The Republicans seem to be banking on the fact that everyone will forget they might have been a little bit obstructionist.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Still a  :zzz. Even if it does shut down, which it wont, I'll still be working.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Yes, the Republicans are the legislative equivalent of al Qaeda.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 29, 2013, 07:06:46 PM
Still a  :zzz . Even if it does shut down, which it wont, I'll still be working.

Not that with the tattoo ban coming down the pipe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: PDH on September 29, 2013, 07:06:13 PM
The Republicans seem to be banking on the fact that everyone will forget they might have been a little bit obstructionist.

Do House Republicans really care about everyone?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2013, 07:20:06 PM

They say they do.  :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2013, 07:20:06 PM
Of course not.  Really, the House Republicans are doing what they can do in order to avoid getting primaried in the most conservative, least intelligent districts in the country.  If they have to destroy American in order to secure their reelection, then they would happily do that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2013, 06:54:57 PM
The GOP are demanding "give us everything, or we blow up shit".

No they're not.  They're only defunding Obamacare, and they've already signaled that the government is not going to shut down.

How much longer until the spellcheck is OK with Obamacare?

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2013, 07:15:34 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 29, 2013, 07:06:46 PM
Still a  :zzz . Even if it does shut down, which it wont, I'll still be working.

Not that with the tattoo ban coming down the pipe.

DoD Civilian Sparky. ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2013, 07:41:21 PM

No they're not.  They're only defunding Obamacare, and they've already signaled that the government is not going to shut down.

:D Yea no shit.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2013, 07:41:21 PM

But they won't be able to defund it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2013, 07:58:42 PM
But they won't be able to defund it.

My mistake.  I meant trying to defund Obamacare.

CountDeMoney

It's only obstructionist if it's the other side.  If it's your side, you're "principled".