Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 13, 2013, 11:53:43 AM
So back to Square 1.

Yes.  You and the others seem to view that as a loss.  I don't see how it is.  It's not as if we're going to decomission 14 CVs and our entire B2 fleet 3 months from now.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 11:56:58 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 13, 2013, 11:53:43 AM
So back to Square 1.

Yes.  You and the others seem to view that as a loss.

No, I just don't view it as a gain.  And the option exists only because Putin elected (for his own reasons) to throw the WH a lifeline.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 13, 2013, 12:55:42 PM
No, I just don't view it as a gain.  And the option exists only because Putin elected (for his own reasons) to throw the WH a lifeline.

Then we agree.  On the present trajectory, the worst case scenario is status quo ante.

Now take it up with the people who are characterizing the move as a geopolitical disaster for the US.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 01:04:48 PM

Then we agree.  On the present trajectory, the worst case scenario is status quo ante.

The criticism is that the status quo ante is a crappy place to be.  As a result of the President's blundering. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 13, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
The criticism is that the status quo ante is a crappy place to be.  As a result of the President's blundering.

No disagreement with this statement.

mongers

The criticism is that the status quo ante is a crappy place to be. As a result of the President's blundering.

Indeed, but there are worse situations to be at the moment, like yet another war/entanglement in the middle east with unclear goals.

So the President's 'blundering', may have saved you from a rash response.  Of course in retrospect it might be seen as blundering of the worst kind or alternative a wise pause to take stock of the situation ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Indeed. The status quo is that Syria used gas on their civilians after the US President said that would be intolerable, and no repercussion will come of it, and they (and others) now know that doing so in the future is not likely to draw any kind of a response and a basic pillar of western non-proliferation policy is now gone.

Other than that, this is a pretty good outcome.

Oh - and lets not forget that Putin made Obama look like his bitch and it appears that the US has to clear foreign policy initiatives with Russia now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 02:21:12 PM
Indeed, but there are worse situations to be at the moment, like yet another war/entanglement in the middle east with unclear goals.

So the President's 'blundering', may have saved you from a rash response.  Of course in retrospect it might be seen as blundering of the worst kind or alternative a wise pause to take stock of the situation ?

Put aside the issue of what is the best policy in the bigger scheme - interventionist or staying out.  What the President did was not an effective or sensible way of pursuing either of those policies.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on September 13, 2013, 02:31:30 PM
Indeed. The status quo is that ... they (and others) now know that doing so in the future is not likely to draw any kind of a response and a basic pillar of western non-proliferation policy is now gone.

Wow...At that very least, I don't think that Syria knows that in the future chemical weapons against civilians is unlikely to draw any kind of response. I certainly don't know that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

That cartoon makes no sense.  US has not signed off on UNSC veto.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 03:12:58 PM
I certainly don't get this idea that US-Russian interests are a zero sum game, if Obama loses face then the Russians must have gained and vis versa. 
Sometimes, just occasionally US and Russians will in part or largely coincide. :gasp:

I'd suggest that with Syria, both countries benefit from the conflict being as contained as possible, certainly within it's borders.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 03:19:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 03:12:58 PM

I certainly don't get this idea that US-Russian interests are a zero sum game, if Obama loses face then the Russians must have gained and vis versa. 
Sometimes, just occasionally US and Russians will in part or largely coincide. :gasp:

I'd suggest that with Syria, both countries benefit from the conflict being as contained as possible, certainly within it's borders.

Part of the problem is that Putin (and Assad) are playning a zero sum game. Obama is trying to play a win win game. Putin and Assad are not looking for long term solutions to resolve substantive issues and differences between the nations to enable a movement to closer more productive relations, they are looking to maintain their personal prestige to re-enforce their political positions without provoking an actual detrimental response which would either demonstrate their weakness or force a humiliating surrender.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 03:19:10 PM

Disagree.  Russia has till now made no overt moves to restrain Assad.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2013, 03:24:44 PM
Part of the problem is that Putin (and Assad) are playning a zero sum game. Obama is trying to play a win win game. Putin and Assad are not looking for long term solutions to resolve substantive issues and differences between the nations to enable a movement to closer more productive relations, they are looking to maintain their personal prestige to re-enforce their political positions without provoking an actual detrimental response which would either demonstrate their weakness or force a humiliating surrender.

Agree, except the part about Obama's win-win.  Enforcing a ban on chemical weapons is not a win win.